May 4, 2015

Zucchini con Queso, Chicken & Zucchini con Queso

I love Mexican food almost as much as I love Cajun & Creole food.  When I lived in Texas, I loved eating at authentic, mom-and-pop, hole-in-the-wall joints.

Especially the little joint where I first tried guacamole salad, had true enchiladas and tacos with real Mexican cheese

where the owner/matriarch pointed to a table and said "you sit there!"  Even if it wasn't the table you wanted

where the owner/matriarch grabbed a chef's knife and stabbed her husband in the kitchen in the middle of dinner service.

But that's a story for another day.
Let's go with this story instead...

Zucchini con Queso | Ms enPlace

My favorite Mexican cookbook, The Border Cookbook: Authentic Home Cooking of the American Southwest and Northern Mexico by Cheryl Alters Jamison & Bill Jamison, is full of authentic recipes.

Like this creamy, cheesy Zucchini con Queso.

Zucchini con Queso | Ms enPlace

It's not something I get to make often because it's time consuming for a side dish.

But chicken can be added to turn it into a meal.  Making the time it takes more justified.

Time consuming side dishes could turn me a little stabby, afterall.  And you can never be too careful with a chef's knife.

Chicken & Zucchini con Queso | Ms enPlace

If you are up for something different for Cinco de Mayo, Zucchini con Queso could replace those refried beans.

Chicken & Zucchini con Queso could stand in for tacos and enchiladas.

Either way, you can't go wrong.  Just keep that knife to yourself.

Print It

Zucchini Con Queso
adapted from The Border Cookbook

Vegetables:
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 lbs zucchini, cut in fat matchsticks
1 medium onion, sliced in thin strips
1 garlic clove, minced
1 large bell pepper (any color), sliced in thin strips
2 Roma tomatoes sliced into thin strips
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt

Sauce:
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
1/4 cup sour cream
4 oz grated pepper jack cheese

In a large skillet warm butter and oil over medium heat. Add zucchini, onion, and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes until wilted. Stir in the bell pepper, tomatoes, oregano, and salt. Cook for another 10-15 minutes, until zucchini is very tender.

While the vegetables cook, make the sauce.

In a saucepan, warm butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the flour.  Cook and stir until bubbly.  Add the garlic, evaporated milk, and sour cream and heat through. Stir in cheese, cover pan, and remove from the heat. Stir again in several minutes if needed to melt cheese evenly. Keep sauce warm until serving.

Serve the zucchini mixture with spoonfuls of the cheese sauce.
6-8 servings


Print It

Chicken & Zucchini Con Queso
adapted from The Border Cookbook

2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
3-4 chicken breasts, sliced in thin strips
1 tsp dried oregano, divided
1 tsp salt, divided
2 lbs zucchini, cut in fat matchsticks
1 medium onion, sliced in thin strips
1 garlic clove, minced
1 large bell pepper (any color), sliced in thin strips
2 Roma tomatoes sliced into thin strips

Sauce:
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
1/4 cup sour cream
4 oz grated pepper jack cheese

In a large skillet warm butter and oil over medium heat. Season the chicken strips with half of the oregano and half of the salt.  Brown the chicken, then add zucchini, onion, and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes until wilted. Stir in the bell pepper, tomatoes, and remaining oregano, and salt. Cook for another 10-15 minutes, until zucchini is very tender.

While this cooks, make the sauce.

In a saucepan, warm butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the flour.  Cook and stir until bubbly.  Add the garlic, evaporated milk, and sour cream and heat through. Stir in cheese, cover pan, and remove from the heat. Stir again in several minutes if needed to melt cheese evenly. Keep sauce warm until serving.

Serve the chicken & zucchini mixture with spoonfuls of the cheese sauce.




More from The Border Cookbook...
Garlic Soup
Tex-Mex Truckstop Enchiladas
Frijoles de Olla (Pot Beans)











More Cinco de Mayo...
Cheese & Shrimp Stuffed Poblanos
Black Bean Quesadillas
Brava Steaks with Lazy Salsa
Beef Tongue With Tomato (Lengua Entomada)
















Linking with:
What'd You Do This Weekend
Yesterfood
The 21st Century Housewife Hearth and Soul Blog Hop
Lou Lou Girls Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Celebrate It!
Olives-n-Okra
My Turn for us
Share your recipes on Morsels of Life: Five Friday Finds

12 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by the hole in the wall, mom and pop joint with the stabby matriarch...hope her husband was okay! Love your Zucchini con Queso with or without the chicken, Michelle. It sounds really delicious with just the right amount of spice. Thank you for sharing with us at the Hearth and Soul hop. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pretty much any kind of Mexican food, and this sounds so tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love zucchini, I love queso, together they sound amazing and chicken is a wonderful addition! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I was looking at your recipe Michelle, I thought to myself, this woman is a fabulous cook, I don't think you ever post anything that isn't delicious, including this Zucchini dish. Hope you have a very special Mothers Day weekend and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday this week.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving this! I'm always so impressed by your masterpieces. Pinned and tweeted. We appreciate you taking the time to party with us. I hope to see you on Monday at 7. Happy Mother's Day! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where the owner/matriarch pointed to a table and said "you sit there!" Even if it wasn't the table you wanted. LOL! My place, my rules. Thanks for sharing the gorgeous zucchini con queso with us at Treasure Box Tuesday! :)

    Happy Mother's Day, Michelle! I hope you're having a wonderful day! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Mother's Day, Michelle! Hope it was a great day.

    Mexican is a favorite of everyone in my house and queso especially. I'm gonna say the zucchini officially makes this healthy, especially when served over chicken. It's a balance meal, right? Looks delicious girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one of yumm dish Michelle, I love mexican food a lot, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop. pinning, tweeting and sharing in google plus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great dish! I'm also liking the flexibility of adding chicken to make it a meal. :) Thanks for stopping by and sharing this recipe with us - you're featured this week on Five Friday Finds! I'm looking forward to what you share this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love zucchini and am always looking for new and INSPIRING ways in which to use it. You have certainly inspired me here, this looks delish. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a big zucchini fan. I'm always looking for new ways to cook it besides my normal frittata or stewed recipes. These dishes look so amazing! Thanks for sharing and linking up with us at Funtastic Friday. I hope you join us again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Michelle,
    I am celebrating my First Blog Anniversary-http://herbsspicesandtradition.blogspot.ca/2015/05/my-first-blog-anniversary-event.html
    There is a event and a give away. Please join, it is open for everybody.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.