Apr 27, 2015

Chips for Supper! {Taco Casserole}

I have a tendency to eat like a kid.

Taco Casserole | Ms. enPlace


Dessert is the best part of any meal.
Hand held food is always fun.
Cheesy is good.

Taco Casserole | Ms. enPlace

Get where I'm going?

Taco Casserole | Ms. enPlace


So if chips can be turned into a meal, I'm gonna give it a whirl.

Taco Casserole | Ms. enPlace


Taco Casserole is like a pan of layered nachos, all beefy, cheesy, sour creamy and with loads of green onion (my favorite part).  It's good as is but even better topped with lettuce, tomato, and jalapenos.

Taco Casserole | Ms. enPlace

This casserole doesn't hold up well as leftovers.
The chips get soggy. Who likes soggy chips?
No one, that's who.
For the three of us, I cut the recipe in half and make it in an 8 x 8 pan.

Then I do it all over again another night.
Chips for supper twice in one week!

Print it

Taco Casserole

1 lb ground beef
1 envelope taco seasoning (1.25 oz)
1/2 cup picante sauce
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup flour
7 oz can chopped green chiles
8 oz sour cream
1 bag tortilla chips
2 cups grated cheese
1/2 cup green onion
2 cups shredded lettuce
2 chopped roma tomatoes
2 Tbsp chopped jalapeno
1 lime (optional)

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a 13 x 9 baking pan.

Brown the ground beef.  Stir in the taco seasoning and picante sauce.  Whisk together the broth and flour and add to the beef mixture.  Simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated and the beef mixture has thickened.  While this simmers, mix together the green chiles and sour cream in a separate bowl.

Place half of the tortilla chips on the bottom of the pan.  Spoon half of the beef mixture over the chips.  Then spoon half of the sour cream mixture, half of the cheese, then half of the green onion.  Repeat with the remaining chips, beef, sour cream, cheese, and green onion.  Bake for about 20 minutes to heat through and melt the cheese.

Remove from oven and let stand for a few minutes.  Top with shredded lettuce, tomato, and jalapenos.  Squeeze lime juice over the top (optional) and serve.


More Cinco de Mayo...
Bacon & Tomato Guacamole
Fajita Shredded Beef
Frijoles de Olla (Pot Beans)
Avocado Dressed Shrimp
















Linking with:
What'd You Do This Weekend
Yesterfood
The 21st Century Housewife Hearth and Soul Blog Hop
Lou Lou Girls Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Celebrate It!
Olives-n-Okra
My Turn for us
Share your recipes on Morsels of Life: Five Friday Finds

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for such a wonderful recipe. I love anything that has taco in its name!

    May I ask how you created the print feature for the recipe?

    That is so cool.

    Enjoyed visiting,
    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I use the document feature on Google drive. Type in the recipe in a new google doc and click "share" to get a link to use on your blog. Hope this helps. Let me know if you want more info.
      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I would love to have these chips for dinner! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's become one of my favorites, Jasline!

      Delete
  3. Ooooh... I want some of this!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, this looks so good. It's fun to eat like a kid, but it's even better, cause we can have a beer or a margarita with ours. ;) YES on the lime squeeze, and a little cilantro, too, please. :) Thank you for sharing this with us at Treasure Box Tuesday- pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beer or margarita...good way to look at it, Joy! I like lots of lime. Tend to hold back on the cilantro though. I'm the only one in the house who'll eat it.

      Delete
  5. Okay, I'm drooling right now! Looks so good. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you on Monday at 7, we can't wait to party with you! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, I love the idea of chips for supper, this casserole sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend? I hope you will join us again this Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to eat like a kid too! But who wouldn't when it looks like this?
    Also.... I was already to join up with see ya in the gumbo again. hahaha. I don't know how you did it as long as you did. It's a huge commitment. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who can say to this delicious dish, it has chips, cheesy goodness, I am in, thanks for sharing Hearth and soul blog hop, pinning, tweeting love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Michelle! I love your recipe too. What a deliciously easy way to serve tacos! Love all the tasty layers. I look forward to making this soon! Pinned :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michelle,
    This is a casserole that we would really enjoy, really delicious! Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chips for dinner sounds like a plan to me! Thanks for stopping by and sharing this on Five Friday Finds!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I could eat that in one sitting! Looks so good and I know we will love it.

    Thanks for sharing.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.