May 1, 2012

IHCC: Cinco de Mayo

In the United States, "Cinco de Mayo" seems to be Spanish for "meet up with the girls for half price margaritas."  Much like how "Mardi Gras" has become French for "get drunk and show your boobs."

Eh...maybe my translations are a little off.  Whatevs.

These types of calendar events do have deep cultural significance.  Though the significance gets skewed depending on your culture.

Most of the time celebrations like these simply give us a reason to party.

But maybe they also give us a reason to try something new.

Like guacamole packed with stuff.  Normally I'm shy about adding things to guacamole--preferring a very basic prep.  Lime juice, salt, and garlic.  Lots of garlic.

Since we're celebrating Cinco de Mayo at I Heart Cooking Clubs, I wanted to go for something new.  Something daring.  Like Bacon and Tomato Guacamole from Fiesta at Rick's by Rick Bayless.

Oh.  Yeah.  Bacon Guacamole.

The Husband is in love.
"Is that bacon in here?!" He asked.  And exclaimed.  Perhaps even shed a little tear.  (But most likely not.)  I think he would have eaten this and this alone for dinner if allowed.  But I run a pretty tight ship.

And wanted some bacon guacamole for myself.

I think I may even choose Bacon Guacamole over half-price margaritas (and I love me some margaritas).  Unless, of course, I could have both.

Notes: Everything worked in this recipe.  I usually don't like raw onion, but I used a little less than called for and it was great.  All of the components were fresh and flavorful.  The punch of salty, crisped bacon takes this one outta the park.


White Lights on Wednesdays






One of my favorite Cinco de Mayo dishes is this Garlic Soup...3 heads of roasted garlic, chipotle, and lime juice.  Lordy!



More Rick Bayless Cinco de Mayo recipes can be found here:
Rick Bayless @IHCC button rounded

Also linking with:
Blog Hop Blitz
Things that make you say: Photobucket  Hearth and Soul blog hop at Premeditated Leftovers
PermanetPosies.com
Nap-Time Creations

Gallery of Favorites
BWS tips button
slice of southern button


Cookbook Sundays @ Couscous and Consciousness
CookbookSundays


Printer Friendly

Bacon & Tomato Guacamole
from Fiesta at Rick's by Rick Bayless

5 strips medium-thick bacon
3  medium-large, ripe avocados
1/2  medium-large white onion, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces (I used 1/4 of an onion)
2  canned chipotle chilies in adobo, removed from the canning sauce, stemmed, slit open, seeds scraped out, and finely chopped
1  medium-large, round, ripe tomato, cored and chopped into 1/4-inch pieces (squeeze over a bowl to remove seeds if tomato is juicy)
1/4 cup loosely packed, coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, thick bottom stems cut off (I used parsley because of cilantro haters)
Salt
1-2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice

In a large, 10-inch skillet, cook bacon in a single layer over medium heat, turning occasionally, until crisp and browned, about 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels, then crumble into small pieces.

Cut around each avocado, from stem to blossom end and back again, then twist 2 halves apart. Scoop out pit and discard. Scoop flesh from skin into a large bowl. Using an old-fashioned potato masher or a large fork or spoon, mash avocados into a coarse puree.

Add onion to a bowl, along with chipotle chilies, tomato, cilantro (save a little for garnish if you wish), and about 2/3 bacon. (If guacamole isn't being served right away, don't add bacon until just before serving, because it loses crispness as it sits in the guacamole.) Gently stir to combine all ingredients. Taste and season with salt (usually about 1/2 teaspoon) and enough lime juice to add a little sparkle.

Cover with plastic wrap directly on surface of guacamole and refrigerate until ready to serve. Scoop guacamole into a serving dish, sprinkle with remaining bacon (and cilantro if you have it), and you're ready to serve.

22 comments:

  1. Bacon in Guacamole?!? Why have I never thought of doing this? Looks super YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was watching Michael Symon on a show the other day and he was talking about bacon guacamole. It's almost like a light went on in my head. Why haven't I thought of that before? It has to be delicious! So glad you guys liked it.

    Hope ya'll are doing good. I've been a bit of a blog rut lately. I just draw a blank every time I try to sit down and write something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I think your translations of Cinco de Mayo & Mardi Gras are spot on! I'm always up for guacamole and I love to add stuff to mine. Bacon works! Nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your translations!!

    What a fantastic idea to add bacon to guacamole - it sounds mouthwatering. I also like that you used parsley instead of cilantro - my son loathes cilantro - loathes is not too strong a word ;) and I've never really found anything to use instead. Parsley is the perfect solution!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had bacon right next to my guac this week too - and what a revelation! They definitely do go hand in hand - and if you have margs too? Even better!
    Delicious looking guacamole.
    And your garlic soup sounds heavenly. I ♥ Garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bacon Guacamole? Oh my! It's like I've died and gone to Heaven! Note to self: MUST add bacon next time I make guacamole. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow bacon and guacamole..sounds like a winner :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Michelle! I just wanted to let you know I gave you a big old shout out today for my first IHCC post. Thanks so much for introducing me the the club.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/05/show-your-stuff-22.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I think that I just shed a little tear. Mostly because I don't have any of this in front of me to DEVOUR right now. Serious yum factor going on in that bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am learning to love "stuff" in my guacamole thanks to Rick. Bacon sounds like the perfect addition. (I need to try that garlic soup too!)
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love this post! haha! Rick Bayless is one of my favorite chef's, so I'm not surprised this was completely amazing. :) Thanks so much for sharing with Hearth and Soul!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy Guacamole that looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a truly funny post! We do have a way of corrupting holidays and making them all about the party in America, but as long as there is good food at the party i am not going to complain too loudly. :) This guacamole looks amazing. Just when you think a recipe can't get any better somebody comes along and add bacon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bacon and Avocados, Yummy! Sounds like a keeper to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh this looks good! Thanks for joining Southern Sundays with this wonderful recipe! I'll be announcing the featured recipes next week. Hope to see you at the next party with another great item!

    ReplyDelete
  18. bacon makes life better :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum - bacon guacamole sounds like a little bit of heaven. Couple that with a half price marguerita or two and I'd be anybody's!!

    Thanks for sharing this at Cookbook Sundays.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum - bacon guacamole sounds like a little bit of heaven. Couple that with a half price marguerita or two and I'd be anybody's!!

    Thanks for sharing this at Cookbook Sundays.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum - bacon guacamole sounds like a little bit of heaven. Couple that with a half price marguerita or two and I'd be anybody's!!

    Thanks for sharing this at Cookbook Sundays.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum - bacon guacamole sounds like a little bit of heaven. Couple that with a half price marguerita or two and I'd be anybody's!!

    Thanks for sharing this at Cookbook Sundays.

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.