May 19, 2014

Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign {Creole Shrimp & Grits}

If you grow up in South Louisiana, you just simply inherit it.
Like a disease.

It's genetic.  There's no escape.
Don't even try.

Creole Shrimp and Grits | Ms. enPlace

 

Food is an obsession.  Food is everything.  The next meal is planned while eating your current one.
This is the honest truth.  No exaggeration.

Driving to work one morning, I saw a red and yellow sign that caught my eye.

Muffaletas.

And I got so excited that one of my favorite New Orleans treats had come to the little Cajun town of Church Point!

Sadly, the sign only read "Mufflers."
Aww dang it.

Later that week, another sign caught my eye.
Free Crawfish with...something something.
I was driving and trying hard to keep my eyes on the road.  The promise of free crawfish made it almost impossible.

Sadly, the sign read "Free Carwash with...."
Dang it again.

Creole Shrimp and Grits | Ms. enPlace

I took these signs seriously and was sure disappointed when I realized there would be no muffalettas or free crawfish for me.

But one sign I jumped on was a sale on shrimp.
Because I could make another round of Shrimp & Grits.

Creole Shrimp & Grits

Creole Shrimp and Grits | Ms. enPlace


Grits topped with shrimp and andouille (which I'd argue is one of the best food combinations ever---right up there with lemon and green onion and coffee and chocolate), cooked in a Creole-based red sauce is very different from last week's Creamy Shrimp & Grits.  But I promise it's just as good.

Creole Shrimp and Grits | Ms. enPlace


Like last week's Shrimp & Grits, if you aren't a grits person (siiiigh), it can be served over pasta.  If you have to.

That's how The Boy likes it.

By the way, while I like the Creamy Shrimp & Grits over garlicky cheese grits (mmmm...garlicky cheesy grits), I prefer to keep the cheese out of the Creole version.


Print It!

Creole Shrimp & Grits
1/2 lb andouille sausage, diced
scant 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp tomato paste
about 3/4 cup shrimp stock, chicken stock, or water
1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and tails removed
salt, black pepper, and Creole seasoning, to taste
chopped green onion for garnish

In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the andouille in the olive oil.  Saute for about 6-7 minutes. Then add the onion and bell pepper.  Saute until the vegetables have softened, about 8-10 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook for about a minute longer.  Stir in the tomato paste and stock, coating the andouille and vegetables.  Add the shrimp and season with salt, black pepper, and Creole seasoning.  Cook, stirring occasionally until shrimp is no longer pink and is cooked through.

Meanwhile, make the grits.

For the grits:
olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 c chicken broth
salt and pepper, to taste
1 c grits

Add a splash of olive oil to a saucepan.  Briefly saute the garlic until fragrant.  Add the chicken broth and season to taste with salt and pepper (grits need a fair amount of salt).  Bring to a boil and whisk in the grits.  Simmer until grits are tender.

Serve up the grits.  Top with the shrimp mixture and garnish with green onion.  Serves 4.



TIP:
This recipe calls for 2 Tbsp of tomato paste.  If you don't buy your tomato paste in those squeezy tubes, it's kind of a pain to deal with the rest of a can.  Scoop it out by tablespoons onto a waxed paper lined small cookie sheet (or directly onto a small cookie sheet).  Pop in the freezer until frozen.  Remove from the waxed paper or pan and store in a freezer bag.  No waste and now any time you need some silly amount like 1 Tbsp or 2, you have a stash.




More Shrimp...
Shrimp Po’ Boys w/ Remoulade Sauce | Ms. enPlace
Shrimp Creole | Ms. enPlace
BBQ Shrimp | Ms. enPlace
In the Past...
Yogurt Dip for Fruit Skewers | Ms. enPlace
Mocha Latte Bread Pudding
w/ Caramel Whiskey Sauce | Ms. enPlace
Meatball Stew | Ms. enPlace
Linking with:
Yesterfood
Feeding BigThe 21st Century Housewife Hearth and Soul Blog Hop
Full Time MamaMiz Helen’s Country Cottage
Jam Hands
My Turn for us
Lou Lou Girls
Tasty Tuesdays
Wednesday Whatsits

14 comments:

  1. Clever approach to this post! I can totally relate to thinking about food 24/7 and I am from MIami (laugh).

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. #Droolworthy! Looks delish, hun! I cna't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! The title of your post and seeing "signs" cracked me up! I need a laugh after dealing with my cell phone company.;) Thanks for sharing such an awesome recipe and tip for the tomato paste. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5/21/2014

    so, who sang that song (Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I did have a chuckle over this - my food obsessed eye has been fooled on more than one occasion, so I can relate. Your shrimp dish looks amazing - I so wish we could get andouille sausage in New Zealand :-( I normally always buy my tomato paste in tubes, but your suggestion for freezing it in "blobs" is a fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha!! Muffaleta or Muffler ..... Free Crawfish or Free Carwash .... maybe it was wishful thinking! :) I am a fan of shrimp and grits, but sadly, I've only ever had them one way!! I love that you have shared two recently!! Gotta try them! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post really did make me smile, Michelle. I've been known to misinterpret signs too - and be very disappointed about it! Your Shrimp and Grits looks so delicious - I like the idea of serving the shrimp over pasta too. I like your idea for freezing tomato paste too! Thank you for sharing this wonderful post with us at the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Michelle,
    Your Creole Shrimp would be a bowl of heaven! Have a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Be safe and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible! I'm drooling right now! Pinned. Thanks for being a part of our party. We really appreciate you stopping by. I hope to see you on Monday at 7 pm. http://loulougirls.blogspot.com Happy Saturday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome stuff again! I always love to see what you bring to the party! I would be bummed too about the signs, but, at least the shrimp one worked out for the best! Thanks for sharing with us again at The Yuck Stops Here link party, hope to see you again next week! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have always wanted to try this dish, but since I know nothing about Cajun cooking and don't have any restaurants near by I have never tried it. So glad you shared it with us on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh you're making me hungry with all those signs and wonderful photos. I still need to give grits another try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! Your seeing the signs as food words reminds me of Despicable Me 2 when Lucy keeps seeing Gru everywhere she looks on the plane... LOL!
    I'd love to visit New Orleans one day to experience it. I love reading your little snippets (and sometimes big snippets) about it in your recipe posts. I just need to acquire a taste for seafood to really be able to enjoy it to it's fullest. Is there a pill for that? ;)
    Thanks for sharing with us at DDT!!! Can't wait to see what you bring us this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goodness gracious, I bet the Andouille is great in this recipe. I have been searching for a really good shrimp and grits recipe. Pinning to my Good Eats board so I can try this. Stopping by from Four seasons.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.