Jul 16, 2013

Get Your Chef On: Blackberries {Summer Salad w/ Blackberry Thyme Vinaigrette}

I have a love-hate relationship with summer.

Summer Salad from Ms. enPlace

Heat.  Humidity.  Mosquitos.  Pouring my melting self into a 100 degree car.  These things I can do without.
Way, way without.

Summer Salad from Ms. enPlace

 This I love.

Summer Salad from Ms. enPlace


Summer may mean sweating and high utility bills.

Summer Salad from Ms. enPlace

But it also means blackberries & blueberries--my favorite fruits.  And figs only minutes off the tree.

Summer Salad from Ms. enPlace


Printer Friendly

Summer Salad w/ Blackberry Thyme Vinaigrette

for the vinaigrette:
1 1/2 cups blackberries
scant 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
salt & pepper to taste
scant 1/4 cup olive oil
sugar (if needed)

for the salad (per person):
2 1/2 cups torn leaf lettuce
1-1/2 Tbsp toasted pecans
1 Tbsp blue cheese
1-1/2 Tbsp dressing
about 8 blackberries
1 heaping Tbsp blueberries
4 ripe figs, halved

Add all of the vinaigrette ingredients except for the olive oil and sugar to a food processor or blender.  Blend well.  Drizzle in the olive oil.  Taste for seasoning.  If your berries aren't sweet enough, you may need to add a little sugar.

Add the lettuce, pecans, blue cheese, and dressing to a mixing bowl and toss together.  Place in a serving bowl.  Top with the blackberries, blueberries, and figs and serve.

Got...
blackberries?

blueberries?

figs?


This post is part of 
Get Your Chef On is hosted by
and
Thank you, Julie & Jen!

Also linking with:
Jam Hands  Hearth and Soul blog hop at Premeditated Leftovers Feeding Big
Love Bakes Good Cakes
nap-time creations
White Lights on Wednesdays
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Photobucket
BWS tips button Freedom Fridays
Memories by the Mile
MyMeatlessMondays

26 comments:

  1. I think it's the best salad I've seen lately!!
    Definitely for the summer and definitely to my taste.
    It's not easy seeing these photos while fasting (today is a fasting day here....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - you and I had the same thing on the brain for the challenge! I love that you have figs in your salad plus thyme. This was a fun challenge and nice to see the other entries. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm...... figs, blackberries, pecans, thyme and blue cheese. It can hardly get better than that! Am going to get right ON this one! Thank you;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by to see what you made for the Get your Chef on Challenge! This salad looks delicious, one I would definitely love:) It is not easy to get fresh figs here but I love them~ Great salad Michelle! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pinning this and making it for brunch with the girls next Saturday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an elegant salad. I must admit that figs intimidate me, but this makes me want to buy some. Found you on Tasty Tuesdays!

    Cheers!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle,
    This salad not only looks good, it's so pretty. I don't really know if I like figs, but they are so pretty on the plate. I'm
    pinning and please check for Friday's feature (-;
    Hugs,
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle! Always so fun to see what you cook up... this looks so pretty! I am loving this entry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds perfectly summer! Thank you!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am pretty much of a flower in summer - I wilt easily. But I'm with you - I love summer fruit. I have discovered figs and what a nice surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delish! I'm pinning this and will be making it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks delicious! I'll be trying it as soon as we have some blackberries ready. Stopping by from Full Plate Thursday blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this salad and the vinaigrette is fab! Perfect for summer and I wish I had one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! Figs and blackberries in the same salad?! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I am loving this salad. The fresh blackberries and figs sound awesome and so creative to make a blackberry thyme vinaigrette. Definitely pinning this and trying it soon. Found ya at Simple Living and Eating! :)

    Krista @ joyfulhealthyeats

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks good. I too love the fresh summer fruit. We have no mosquitoes. No humidity either. We have no water.
    That's a good thing about living in the desert. not that we have no water, but no bugs and no humidity. BUT...the fresh fruit I have to buy costs about a gazillion $$$$$ at the store. I hate that part.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your pictures are gorgeous, Michelle! Your salad looks amazing, and sounds so good. I love salads with fruit in them and the vinaigrette sounds so delicious. Thank you for sharing this beautiful recipe with the Hearth and Soul hop. I've shared it on my FB page and will be pinning it as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I live in South FLA, so I totally hear ya on the heat/humidity thing. We're blessed to be able to take a long vacation and escape for a few weeks in summer.
    I saw this at Freedom Fridays. This salad is so pretty and I love all that yummy summer fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Our heat wave looks like it is breaking today. I don't know how you handle the heat in state of LA.. wow. Well this salad is down right exotic too me. I am new to mixing fruit with vegetables and I would have never have thought of figs and black berries in a salad together, but I totally see how they work. Thanks for sharing this with us on foodie friday and I am going to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Don't you love the GYCO challenge, your salad is beautiful. I love to mix all those flavors! Love your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks too pretty to eat. And if it is half as good as it looks it must taste awesome.


    Heidi’s Wanderings

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Have a great weekend and hope to see you soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think that's the prettiest salad I have ever seen!
    Thank you for sharing on Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous salad. Blackberries have been fantastic lately and I love that you used them in dressing. This will be a feature on Thursdays Treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's all love, love, love for me with summer. Admittedly though I do live in a place where daytime temps of about 75 (nighttime 60) are the summer norm, with minimal humidity and mozzies only a marginal annoyance. In fact, I could live with the kind of summer we have all year round.

    I love summer so much in fact that I'm heading to California tomorrow for a little dose of summer in the middle of our winter.

    I adore berries and especially figs. Hope I can get my hands on some while I'm in San Francisco to make this salad - it looks utterly gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just want you to know that your recipe is being featured on foodie friday today. I will be pinning and tweeting it too this week. Thanks again for being part of our party.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.