Jun 30, 2010

No Sweat Summer--Blueberry Cheesecake

Today kicks off No Sweat Summer...a series I'm starting to focus on chilled or frozen summer treats.

No doubt it will be a lazy series.  Lazy days of summer and all that.

I'm already lazy with the kick-off post.  We're deep into summer down here.

And I'm already cheating.  While today's dessert is served chilled, it has to be baked.  So there goes the no sweat thing.

Hmmm...maybe there'll be no series after all.




Either way, I have to tell ya'll about this Blueberry Cheesecake.  It's my favorite dessert to take to BBQs.  Especially for the 4th of July.  I've also made it with strawberries and a mix of strawberries and blueberries, going more patriotic.  But blueberries by their little ole lonesome win out every time.

This recipe is from an old issue of Kraft Food & Family.  When I saw the picture, I knew I had to try it.  Blueberries are one of my favorite fruits (next to blackberries).  Kraft F&F calls this Blueberry Cheesecake Bars, but I always cut into squares...big honkin' ones.

Mise en place:
melted butter and crushed graham crackers for the crust
2 pks cream cheese (I use Neufchatel--yeah, I had to spellcheck that one), sugar, eggs, vanilla, blueberry jam, blueberries
I've used frozen w/out problems--do not thaw. These babies went back in the freezer after getting their picture taken.
Mix the melted butter and graham cracker crumbs and press into a 13 x 9 pan.  Stick the crust in the fridge to harden while you work on the filling.

Beat the cream cheese until smooth then add sugar, eggs, and vanilla and mix some more.


The next step is the trickiest, I find.  If you try to spread the jam on unwilling crust, you'll have a huge mess.
Pull the crust out of the fridge and test it. Poke at it a bit and make sure the butter has firmed up--which is just a polite way of saying congealed.
If the crust feels like it will hold up, spread the entire jar over the graham cracker crust.
If the crust still crumbles, stick it back in the fridge for a bit.


The jam is easier to spread if it's slightly warm.  Warm it in the microwave before using.  I like to warm it for about 20 seconds in 5 sec intervals, stirring at each interval.

Toss on the blueberries, then spread the cream cheese mixture over the top. 
Have some blueberries poking out? 
So what!  People will know what's in it and the blueberry haters can stay away.



The Boy wanted to make sure I showed a picture of him making the cheesecake.  It's very important to him that everyone knows he did most of the work.
So here's proof that he spread the cream cheese mixture.  Look closely at his fingers and thumb and there's proof that he also sprinkled on the blueberries.
Please don't ask about the purple smudges on his T shirt. 
That's not something he wants to talk about.

Bake about 1/2 hour then cool.  Store in the fridge.

I'm linking this to What's on the Menu Wednesday @
Dining With Debbie
Also linking up with Comfy Cuisine's Blueberry Overload

Comfy Cuisine

Blueberry Cheesecake Bars

from Kraft Food & Family

6 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 cups HONEY MAID Graham Cracker Crumbs
2 pkg. (8 oz. each) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 jar (10 oz.) blueberry jam or preserves
1 cup blueberries ( I used frozen)

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix butter and graham crumbs and place in a 13x9-inch pan. Press firmly onto bottom of pan. Refrigerate until butter firms up and crust hold together.

Beat cream cheese in large bowl with an electric mixer until creamy. Add sugar, eggs and vanilla; beat until well blended. Set aside.

Warm jam in a microwave for about 20 seconds, in 5 second intervals. Stir at each interval. Check your crust to see if it has firmed. If it doesn't crumble when you touch it, it's ready. Spread jam evenly onto crust. Sprinkle the blueberries on top. Evenly pour the cream cheese mixture over the blueberries.

Bake for about 30 min. or until slightly puffed. Cool completely. Cut into bars or squares. Store tightly covered in refrigerator up to 3 days.

 Other cool summer treats:
Purple Passion




8 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to more cool treats. I see you have plumbago. Those flower bushes are everywhere in S Florida.

    P.S. I've given you an award.
    http://bettycrapper.blogspot.com/2010/06/beautiful-blogger.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, definately be trying these this summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, two of my favorite things, cheesecake and blueberries. I'll be trying this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, everyone.

    M-thanks for the award! I need to get to work on it. We also have lots of plumbago everywhere. Easy to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. daisygeep7/06/2010

    I made this for the 4th and it was a big hit! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta love those blueberry stains!

    This looks like the perfect summertime dessert. I definitely like that it is amped up with the blueberry jam. I bet that makes it extra yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. daisygeep: thanks for trying the cheesecake. Glad it was a hit!

    Kim: glad you're back

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think these would be worth heating the kitchen up. They sound delish and look so pretty. I can't wait to try these later this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.