Jan 21, 2013

Mardi Gras Menu 1

It's that time again.

Time to do a little two-step.


Time to catch some parades.


Time to chase chickens.


Time for Mardi Gras!


Mardi Gras is early this year and I'm feelin' kinda rushed coming off of Christmas and The Boy's birthday.

This type of situation begs for a no-brainer.

And no-brainers I can do.

Muffaletta Bruschetta

The topping can be made ahead--keep the meats and cheese separate from the olive salad until serving so the olives don't cause that wet, sweaty cheese thing.  You know what I mean.  And you know no one wants that.

The bread can be toasted ahead too.  Then everyone can help themselves while you sit lookin' pretty and smart.  Even for a no-brainer.


********
This year instead of Mardi Gras music clips, how about some Mardi Gras trivia?
Know what this is?

This is a strand of Mardi Gras beads made in Czechoslovakia   This style of Mardi Gras beads was thrown from floats in New Orleans parades in the 1920s and 30s.  But even as a child, I can remember catching a pair or two of glass beads...most likely something someone had stored in an attic.


The beads are made of glass and strung on cotton thread.  I always thought it was really something that glass beads were thrown from floats.  Last year I was lamenting the glass Mardi Gras beads I caught as a child.  I have no idea what happened to them.  The Husband found these online for me.  I'm not spoiled.  Just well loved.
********



Printer Friendly

Muffaletta Bruschetta

1/4 lb salami
1/4 lb ham
1/4 lb provolone cheese
1 c chopped green olives
1/2 c chopped giardiniera mix
1 Tbsp capers
1 tsp dried oregano
splash of juice from the green olives
2 loaves French bread
drizzle of olive oil

Have your deli slice the salami, ham, and provolone into a few thick slices.  Cut the slices into long strip, then cut the strips into cubes.  You should end up with about 1 cup of each ingredient.  Place in a container with a lid.  Refrigerate until ready to use.

Add the chopped olives, giardiniera, capers, and oregano to another container.  Add a splash of olive juice to moisten the mixture.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.  Note: olive salad tastes better if made ahead.

Slice the loaves of bread into rounds.  Place on large baking sheets and drizzle with olive oil.  Flip the slices over and bake at 400 F until bread is toasted.

When ready to serve, mix the olive salad with the meats and cheese.  Place in serving bowl and serve with the toasted bread.


Linking with:
Mixitup

Photobucket
 Hearth and Soul blog hop at Premeditated Leftovers
Love Bakes Good Cakes
Nap-Time Creations
Back for Seconds
White Lights on Wednesdays
Recipe Box
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage
Photobucket
Gallery of Favorites

BWS tips button
Freedom Fridays

Memories by the Mile
{Country} Life with a Front Porch View

20 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/21/2013

    This looks so yummy!

    And wow - I can't believe it's almost Mardi Gras already!

    I'm a new follower here - and am already lovin' it!

    I'd love if you'd visit back -

    www.winterpastcooking.blogspot.com

    ~Peace,
    LuAnne

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome but I am a sucker for anything with muffaletta in the title. :) Those beads are so cool! Major points for your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bruschetta sounds fabulous! I really need to experience Mardi Gras one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. to have glass beads is a cherished MG wearer's dream - so many folks do not know about them... and they are so beautiful. made before plastic, to me, these are the real jewels to wear. your Bruschetta Muffaletta looks awesome and a must for my menu this year. Wishing Happy times ahead for you and yours...
    I think we have staged 16 balls already since the carnival season started and the first parade is this week.... time just flies by don't it....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1/22/2013

    probably in the attic being ruined....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things get ruined in storage units, not attics!

      Delete
  6. Looks like fun! We love muffalettas and will definitely make this! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, this has all my favorite foods in one! LOVE it!! Thanks so much for linking up Michelle :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a great dish! can't wait to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just thinking about muffalettas this morning. Love the idea of serving them up this way. Seems a little more dainty than eating a big ol' sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a yummy, easy-sounding recipe! Thanks so much for stopping by Posed Perfection tonight and leaving me a sweet comment about the Simple Crustless Quiche. I am your newest GFC follower. I hope you'll visit again soon and maybe even follow me back. Have a fabulous week!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy this looks great, such a fun idea for Mardi Gras-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds very tasty! I love the combination of the ingredients! I just started a new link party and would love if you would come on over and share your post or social media sites. http://designeddecor.com/talkin-about-thursday-link-party4/

    DeDe@DesignedDecor

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have friends who are heading down your way for the celebration, it is always so much fun! Your Brushetta looks awesome, we will love it. Hope you have a great weekend and thanks for sharing your tasty recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a good looking Bruschetta! Visting today from Freedom Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks yummy! Please share this in a new Linky Party --Weekend Kitchen Creations at www.weekendkitchencreations.blogspot.com. Please join us, share your delicious creation, build more traffic for your blog and get other scrumptious ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Being the good Italian that I am I always have a jar of giardiniera mix in my pantry... great to learn a new use for it. Thanks for sharing this recipe on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ::shudder:: wet sweaty cheesy stuff ... yeah, I know what you mean :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm always interested to learn more about Mardi Gras. Those beads area beautiful! Your Muffeletta Bruschetta looks so tasty - it takes bruschetta to a whole new level with all those fabulous flavours. Love that it can be made ahead as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made some for the Super Bowl! Thanks for the inspiration and I love the pic of the guys chasing the chickens:@)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.