Jan 24, 2013

IHCC: Sweet Endings

No.  I Heart Cooking Clubs isn't finished cooking w/ Madhur Jaffrey just yet.  It's not that kind of ending.

It's a dessert kind of ending.



I've been waiting for dessert week so I could pull out Madhur Jaffrey's Caramelized Cardamom Apples with Pistachio Cream from Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking.



It's really good and features something I've become fond of--whipped cream with stuff in it.
Plain old whipped cream is so yesterday.

Honestly, I didn't measure much of anything accurately for this dessert except the number of apples.  I used less butter for sure and way more spices.  Sprinkled some of the cinnamon and cardamom into the cream while whipping it up.

This is the kind of dessert that's forgiving.   No exact measuring and fussing.  And who need grudges and fussing?  Not me.



Heck, I didn't even bother to peel the apples!

A couple of weeks ago Deb at Kahakai Kitchen made this dish using yogurt instead of cream.  Check out her version HERE.

Linking with I Heart Cooking Clubs for Sweet Endings.
IHeartCookingClubsMadhurJaffrey

Recipe Sharing Monday
Jam Hands
Heart & Soul Blog Hop
 Hearth and Soul blog hop at Premeditated Leftovers

Printer Friendly

This reflects (more or less) the amounts I used.
Caramelized Cardamom Apples w/ Pistachio Cream

adapted from Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking

for the cream:
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
pinch of cardamom
pinch of cinnamon
pinch or two of sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted pistachios, finely chopped--divided


for the apples:
about 3 tablespoons butter
3 large Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
heaping 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
heaping 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
a couple of tablespoons sugar, or to taste
3 tablespoons chopped almonds
handful chopped pecans

Add the cardamom, cinnamon, and sugar to the cream and whip in a bowl until it just holds its shape.  Fold half of the pistachio nuts into the cream, cover and refrigerate.

Melt the butter over low heat in a large nonstick skillet.  Fold the apple slices into the butter.  Add the cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, sugar, and nuts.  Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring gently.  Turn the heat to high; cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring very gently now and then, until the apples have caramelized lightly.

Serve on individual plates with a dollop of cream partially on, partially off the apples.  Sprinkle the remaining pistachios over the cream.

10 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I'm making the same dessert this week and plan on pretty much winging it as you did. I hope mine looks as good as yours. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tossed up between making this apple dessert and the banana halva so I am glad you gave this a a go. It looks delicious and so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done this too. Easy and delicious, and I think it needs to go back on the menu plan. Wouldn't recommend using a cast iron skillet though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum--you make me want to make this again with the fluffy whipped cream this time! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious!! I love pistachios in sweet dishes, really kicks things up a notch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks sooooooooooooooo GOOD
    My family loves apple-desserts, and I must try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1/27/2013

    There is nothing better than a good caramelized apple and whipped cream with STUFF in it. This will be on my short list.

    Wonder how a good Louisiana pecan would taste with this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds really, really good to me. I love the cardamom flavor with the apple and the pistachio cream sounds grand! Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, this sounds wonderful! I adore pistachios, and the apples sound amazing as well. This is definitely my kind of dessert!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.