Jan 15, 2013

Freebie Soup

This soup was free!


Ok.  Not totally, 100% free.  Everything that went into this soup was something I had on hand.  That's almost as good as free.

It started when my dad sent me home with this monster from his garden.


Then I noticed the theme for this month's Pantry Party @ The Law Student's Cookbook is soup.  One giant free cauliflower and a little diggin' around in the pantry for chicken broth, beef broth, brandy, and onions...we had soup.


Freebie Soup as a name is all well and good for me, but chances are it isn't free for you.

Over a bowl of Freebie Soup, The Boy and I discussed what this soup should really be called.  We analyzed the ingredients.  Which led to analyzing what these ingredients can do to a person.

Naturally.

The Boy: You should call it Fart Soup.  Yeah!  Call it Fart Soup.  On your blog!  (Yep.  Said all italicizy.)
Me: No.
The Boy:  Aw.  Why not?  Say Fart Soup.
Me: Fart Soup.
The Boy: Nooooo!  Say Fart Soup on.  Your.  Blog!
Me: Fart Soup.  On.  Your.  Blog!

This is why 11 year old boys are not hired to write cookbooks.
This is also why a person like me should be a mom to an 11 year old boy.

The Fart Soup French Onion Roasted Cauliflower Soup was good.  But it was really stand out reheated.

I decided to skip the traditional crouton and Gruyere topping used for French Onion Soup because of the bulky cauliflower florets and because my goal was to use what I had and I didn't have Gruyere.


This post was featured @:
Hearth & Soul Blog Hop

Freedom Fridays @ My Turn (for Us)
My Turn for us

Foodie Friday @ Simple Living
BWS tips button

Thursday's Treasures @ Food Done Light
Photobucket

Printer Friendly

French Onion Roasted Cauliflower Soup

2 large onions, sliced in strips
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt
black pepper
3 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp brandy
32 oz low sodium chicken broth
14.5 oz low sodium beef broth
3/4 tsp dried thyme
1 head cauliflower cut in florets (about 5 cups)
olive oil
salt
pepper

Heat oil and butter together in a soup pot over medium heat.  When hot, add the onions and season with salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring as needed, until onions have cooked down and are a dark brown color.  Add the garlic and a splash of brandy.  Cook until the brandy has evaporated.  Pour in the chicken and beef broth and add the thyme.  Simmer for about 20 minutes (while the cauliflower roasts).

Toss the cauliflower florets in a bowl with a few drizzles of olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper and toss again.  Pour out onto a sheet pan and arrange in a single layer.  Roast at 400 F for 15-20 minutes turning halfway through.

Add the cauliflower to the soup and simmer an additional 20-30 minutes.  Taste for seasoning, adjust if needed, and serve.


linking with:
Ultimate Soup Recipe List

Food on Friday: Cauliflower & Cabbage @ Carole's Chatter

The Chicken Chick
Photobucket  Hearth and Soul blog hop at Premeditated Leftovers
Love Bakes Good Cakes
Nap-Time Creations
Back for Seconds
White Lights on Wednesdays
Recipe Box
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Photobucket Gallery of Favorites
BWS tips button Freedom Fridays

23 comments:

  1. Oh boy, fart soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...it wouldn't be so free for me unless I could use apricot brandy instead of regular brandy but I'm pretty sure that would make it barf soup. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!! I am emailing this to my friend right now. He is going to love the boy's fart soup story. I had to type fart soup. How many things do you get that opportunity. By the way the recipe sounds delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fart soup...hilarious! My 10 year old son would love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1/15/2013

    Wonderful edition to this month's Pantry Party! Free soup sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fart soup...love it!

    I like that you call it freebie soup. It's a lot of fun to dig around and see what you can put together with what you have on hand. It's especially rewarding when you can make something great, like this soup.

    I'd like to know what person has gruyere cheese just laying around. Ha ha! It's sure not me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fart soup! - LOL!

    Kids at all ages can sometimes act silly to get mum's attention. My 3 yo did the same too. He said that I'm "sexy" like Nutella - LOL!

    Love your "fart soup" for its deliciousness and being almost free!

    Glad to know you via blogging. I'm now your latest follower :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a tasty soup! I haven't had cauliflower in a long time, might pick some up now:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This soup looks wonderful!! I'm stopping by from Foodie Friday blog hop.
    Thanks
    Angie
    godsgrowinggarden.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish my husband liked cauliflower...or even fart soup. That's a cool story :-)
    Thanks for the comment about my pepper measurement screw up because sometimes, you know, I feel like I am the only one messing up. Just one of those days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm pretty sure my boyfriend would say the same thing as your son...they never change. :P Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Morning,
    I just love the combination of this soup, it looks so good. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  13. My 11 yr old daughter would say "Fart Soup" is so "immature." But she would laugh aside anyway. Love the brandy in it... interesting addition. Glad to see you back at Foodie Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We like cauliflower and this soup looks great.
    I'll just replace the chicken and beef broth with vegetable

    ReplyDelete
  15. The story about your son and his name for your soup really made me smile :) Whatever you call it, your soup sounds amazing. I love the idea of the roasted cauliflower being added to a French Onion soup and the brandy would make it extra special. Thank you for sharing this post with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love this soup and your son! I can't eat gluten, but I love French onion soup. This is perfect for me and I even have cauliflower in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how you combined two soups and came up with something new. Thanks for sharing on Thursdays Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks great! Thank you for sharing on Thursday's Treasures. I've featured it on Week 70. Please stop by and grab a "featured on" button. <3 and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing Michelle, found you featured on Evelyn's Freedom Friday @ My Turn (for us). Sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations your recipe is being featured on foodie friday today stop by and get your featured button. I will be pinning and tweeting it all this week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This soup looks great, congrats on being featured at My Turn for Us. I pinned it. Hope to see you Tuesday at my link party.

    Wanda Ann @ memoriesbythemile.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just sprinkled (poured) this soup at all my Favorite Places: Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest!!
    Thank you for sharing at Freedom Fridays and thanks for being one of my Five Faves!!

    Have a Super week!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Michelle - cute post. Thanks for your support for Food on Friday. I have been blown away by all the great ideas. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.