Apr 2, 2012

Hippity-Hoppity

Last year around Easter, I teased you with my favorite Easter candy--Gold Brick Eggs.
But ya know what?  Elmer Chocolate (Ponchatoula, LA) isn't a one-trick chocolatier.  Oh, no, ma'am.  

They make gooey, sticky pecan eggs that were added to our Easter baskets...just for mom.  Elmer also makes Heavenly Hash, which has been around since 1923 and is described as "Little bites of Heaven on Earth."



Heavenly hash is a mix of almonds and marshmallow coated in smooth chocolate.  Like Gold Brick Eggs (my favorite) and Pecan Eggs (mom's favorite), it wouldn't be Easter without Heavenly Hash.


Elmer's distribution is along the Gulf Coast.
So what if you don't live along the Gulf Coast?

Not to worry, cher.  Heavenly Hash can be had in cake form.


This cake tastes surprisingly similar to the candy.


Also linked with Food on Friday: Cake @ Carole's Chatter


Heavenly Hash Cake
adapted from Cooking With Cajun Women by Nicole Denee Fontenot

2 tsp vanilla
2 cups sugar
2 sticks butter, melted
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
4 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 c almonds
1 package (10.5 oz) mini marshmallows (you may not use the entire package)

icing:
1 lb powdered sugar
4 Tbsp cocoa powder
8 Tbsp evaporated milk
4 tbsp melted butter

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix the first four ingredients.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the self-rising flour and cocoa powder.  Then stir in the almonds.  Add the flour mixture to the first mixture.  Mix gently; don't beat.  Pour into a greased 13" x 9" pan.  Bake for 30-35 minutes.  Have the icing ready and warm for when the cake is done.  Remove the cake from oven and immediately cover with marshmallows.  Pour the icing over the marshmallows.

To make the icing: Heat the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, evaporated milk, and butter, whisking out any lumps.  Pour over the marshmallows while icing is still hot.



Linking with Cookbook Sundays @ Couscous & Consciousness
CookbookSundays

Cooking With Cajun Women, published in 2002, is filled with recipes you'd find Cajun home cooks making for their families.  The author, Nicole Denee Fontenot, selected recipes as well as nostalgia from Cajun women who grew up in the early Twentieth Century.  Some of their stories are hilarious.  All of them offer a glimpse into Cajun lifestyles during this time.  This book contains classic Cajun recipes as well as quick and easy shortcuts implemented by young housewives raising large families.




See Ya In the Gumbo potluck #25 can be found HERE

~~ Please vote for Ms. enPlace for 
The VoiceBoks Top 10 Foodie Blog of 2012.
Thanks! ~~
Voting ends April 13th.


Linking this week with:
Nap-Time Creations
Things that make you say:
 Hearth and Soul blog hop at Premeditated LeftoversPermanetPosies.com
Photobucket
Gallery of Favorites

11 comments:

  1. That looks so good! I think I know what I'll be making for dessert on Sunday! Thanks so much for sharing with Tuesdays at the Table. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having a major sweet (mostly chocolate) tooth lately and I'd love a piece of this right now. I can see how this would be addictive.

    Voted for you again from another computer!

    Have a great Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very familar with Elmer's, love them too and understand special feelings for certain treats... I am fond of 'Southern Colonels', a pecan caramel treat from Priesters Pecan Co near my hometown that I enjoy every time I pass heading north...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks extremely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a fan of Heavenly Hash! THanks for linking to Foodie Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look really good - a bit like brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think me kids would love these!!! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my that Elmer's Heavenly Hash sounds good! I'm so glad you shared your cake recipe so I can have it in cake form :) It just sounds so good with that lovely warm icing too! I am definitely going to try and find the Cooking with Cajun Women Cookbook - it sounds like a wonderful read, and I know I would love the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of Elmer's chocolates or Heavenly Hash, but I would die for a piece of that cake. Sounds like a great cookbook too.

    Thanks so much for sharing with Cookbook Sundays.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the inspiration for this cake. It looks amazingly delicious! I will be serving this at my next party where I am sure it will be a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks and sounds like Rocky Road brownies without the nuts. MMmmmmm...that hash does look and sound heavenly.

    Sorry it took me so long to stop by. Thanks so much for linking up for Friday Food Fight.

    Here's this week's link:

    http://deniseisrundmt.com/2012/04/13/potato-balls/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.