Apr 20, 2011

What's In Your Easter Basket?

What's your favorite Easter candy?

Ever since I was a little girl, my favorite has been Gold Brick Eggs.


Gold Brick Eggs are made by Elmer Chocolate, located in Ponchatoula, LA (NW of New Orleans, also famous for strawberries).  One of my cousins works there and I think she may very well be the luckiest girl in the world.  I don't know how far Elmer distributes this little Easter basket prize.

I sure hope that area includes you.

Gold Brick Eggs are made of milk chocolate and are packed with pecans.  The texture of the chocolate is divine.  The phrase "pecan melt-a-way" on the packaging gives you a glimpse at what you're in for.  According to the company's website, Gold Brick Eggs have been around since 1936.  You just know these are good, right?!

Even as a child, I was loyal.  Never swayed by trendy candies dressed in Easter garb.  Not even pastel candies that bear my initials.  Not even the butterfly earrings or the sidewalk chalk the Easter Bunny placed in my basket could top a Gold Brick Egg.

(Note: I am receiving no compensation for my endorsement of this product.  I spent my own money buying multiple packs the pack of Gold Brick Eggs.  Elmer Chocolate has not contacted me to review or endorse their product.  They really don't need me to do that!)

While reading through my Talk About Good II cookbook, I came across a recipe titled "Gold Bricks."  Oh, Lord.  I'd died. 

And gone to Heaven, of course. 


I set out to make these gold bricks, not paying attention to anything except the fact that now I could have gold bricks year round (which sounds like a good thing in theory...well...).

It wasn't until I started heating evaporated milk, sugar, and butter that I realized this was familiar.  Very familiar.  And not Gold Brick Egg familiar.

The recipe is simply a variation of Fantasy Fudge--the fudge you find on the side of a marshmallow creme jar. 

The Gold Brick Fudge was perfectly fine, although a little soft.  My heart wasn't in it once I realized this was not my Holy Grail.

I hope the Easter Bunny leaves me enough Gold Brick Eggs to last a while.


I'm linking this with
Around My Family Table's Tip Day Thursday--Easter Edition

Another one of our Easter traditions is the
Cajun Easter egg game called paquing.

Also linking this week with:
Make a Food-"e"-Friend Monday #9 @ The Saturday Evening Pot

Made It On Monday #6 @ Lark's Country Heart
Tuesdays at the Table @ All The Small Stuff
Hearth and Soul vol 44 
Delectable Tuesday @ Home Sweet Farm
What's Cooking Thursday @ Feeding Four
Potluck Friday @ EKat's Kitchen
Seasonal Saturday @ la bella vita

Seaside Simplicity's Easter Party
Food on Friday @ Carole's Chatter


Printer friendly

Gold Bricks
(fudge)
adapted from Talk About Good II


1 (12 oz) package of milk chocolate chips
2 cups chopped pecans
1 (7 oz) jar marshmallow creme
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
3 1/2 c sugar
2 sticks butter
1 tsp vanilla


Place chocolate chips, pecans, and marshmallow creme in a large bowl.
Butter the sides and bottom of a large pan.  Place milk, sugar, and butter in a large pot over medium heat and let come to a boil.  When the mixture begins to boil, time for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Add vanilla, then pour mixture into the bowl with the chocolate, pecans, and marshmallow.  Stir vigorously until well blended.  Pour in buttered pan.  Place pan in refrigerator until completely cooled.

24 comments:

  1. Never heard of Gold Brick Eggs - we don't get them this far north apparently. :o) I hope the Easter Bunny brings you lots of them. Have a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't grow up with that brand either but this recipe sure looks inviting. Some folks don't have a sweet tooth...mine is overactive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gold Brick looks awesome dleicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not grow up with that brand, but your fudge sure looks spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really interesting, I will definitely have to try it out. I've been eyeing those jars of marshmallow for awhile. Now that I know what to do with the stuff I will definitely pick some up. The photos of the fudge with the azaleas in the background are beautiful and make me miss the south in springtime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry it wasn't what you wanted it to be, the fudge looks awesome anyway :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks creamy!
    Can you believe I have never heard of Gold Brick Fudge?

    Come join in on Made it on Monday...a WEEKLY RECIPE LINK PARTY I host on my blog.

    http://larkscountryheart.blogspot.com

    *link ups are every WED.-SAT.*

    Hope to see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your fudge looks like it's worth its weight in gold. I have a sweet treat linky party on my blog every weekend and I'd like to invite you to stop by then and link your fudge up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, I've never had gold brick eggs but they sound like something that I would love! Pecans are a favorite nut of mine.

    And your fudge looks pretty damn amazing. even if it wasn't quite the recipe that you were hoping for.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of gold brick eggs (I live in Utah), but I kinda want some fudge... like right now :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4/22/2011

    I have never heard of gold bricks but I love the outcome of what you made!! :) This would be perfect for my Foodie Friday linky party - stop by this week and link up!

    If you have a sec, feel free to pop over now to enter my GIVEAWAY!

    **Bloggy Tip of The Day - Make sure you have an email address associated with your profile to make it easier for people to reply to your comments!! :) **

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mama and I found a package of Gold Bricks hiding out in our Northern Colorado Walgreens. We bought the whole box! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do happend to love fantasy fudge, so I am sure I will enjoy the addition of pecans! Thanks for sharing the recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous4/22/2011

    I would love to try this one and i know my family will go crazy with it. Thanks a lot.Im your newest follower. www.cookiedropletsetcbymarelie.com.. hope you can come and visit me

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you linked up to Made it on Monday! :)

    This fudge sounds so good.

    I hope you make us your newest "habit" :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never heard of Gold Brick eggs either, but they sure do sound good. And I'm sorry you were disappointed about the fudge, but that sure does sound delicious too! I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Thank you for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never heard of Gold Brick eggs either, but they sure do sound good. And I'm sorry you were disappointed about the fudge, but that sure does sound delicious too! I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Thank you for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummy! Bring these gold bricks over to my Easter party :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amanda Crowley LA transplant in TX4/24/2011

    Gold Brick Eggs are the BEST!! My paw paw used to spoil us with those every Easter. Those and the heavenly hash...I used to trash my heavenly hash for gold bricks! Thanks for bringing back a great memory. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey...I am your NEWEST FOLLOWER!

    YIPEE :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Easter, everyone. Thanks for the comments!

    Paige in Co: I'm glad you found some!

    Lark: I hope to join in every week. And thanks for the follow.

    Marelie: thanks for following

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never heard of Gold Brick Eggs and now I feel like I'm totally missing out! Maybe I'll have to find an internet order source and give them a try. Fudge looks tasty, too :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is heart breaking, you had me all excited too, oh well the recipe has got to be out there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Never heard of Gold Brick Eggs, but I think I fall in love with them...so it's probably a good thing that we don't have any here! Hope you had a great Easter.

    Wendy
    www.aroundmyfamilytable.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.