Jul 6, 2011

Got Watermelon? (and Garden Variety Wed # 9 link up)

Another 4th over and done.
Do you have leftover watermelon?
Maybe more than you know what to do with?


How about watermelon lemonade?  It's The Boy's favorite.  I wish I could say the same about the minted watermelon pops we tried last week.  But more on that later.


Every Wed & Sat, my town holds a Farmer's Market.  When the market opens for the season, there isn't a lot of produce to be found.  Mostly you'll find local honey, homemade fruit preserves, homemade soaps and candles, and Miss Darlene's brownies, cookies, and mini pies.  But right now the market is kickin' with crates of tomatoes, different varieties of squash, eggplant, okra, and melons.

There's a man who always sells watermelon at the Farmer's Market.  He rides around town in a bright blue truck with homemade signs taped to it, advertising his watermelons.  I call him The Watermelon Man.  Because I'm creative and can think on my feet like that. 


The Watermelon Man has a pretty good deal.  If you don't think your melon is sweet enough, bring it back to him and he'll let you pick out another one.  I don't have enough room in my yard to grow melons, so I have to rely on people like The Watermelon Man.  An entire watermelon is too much for the three of us, though.  We usually get tired of eating it as is.
Watermelon Lemonade is something I bumped into while browsing a recipe swap group I belong to.  The Boy loves it and could drink the whole pitcher by himself.  Maybe even in one sitting.  It's easy.  To make, I mean.  Although I guess it's also easy to drink it all in one sitting.  It's something to do with leftover watermelon...perhaps some that's even a little too ripe (if you know what I mean).  And it's refreshing on a day like today when we're past the 100 mark.
I wish I had such high praise for these Minted Watermelon Popsicles I tried from the August 2009 issue of Food & Wine Magazine. Figured they'd be perfect for Garden Variety Wednesday. Mint from my garden, watermelon from someone else's. Yep. I thought I had it made! I wish I could say they hit the spot. But the truth is they ended up thawing in the sink and rinsed down the drain.

Maybe I'll just freeze some of the watermelon lemonade. 
That is if I can get it away from The Boy.

Printer Friendly

Watermelon Lemonade
slightly adapted from Hopeful Too
6 c. seedless watermelon
1 -12 oz can lemonade concentrate
3 c. water (or to the strength you like)

Place watermelon in a blender or food processor.
Cover and blend on medium speed until smooth.
Place lemonade concentrate and water in a large pitcher or punch bowl.
Add watermelon and mix well.  Garnish with watermelon if desired.


GARDEN VARIETY WEDNESDAY # 9
Ms. enPlace






~ Made a dish with something you nurtured in your garden?
~ Maybe a neighbor stopped by and shared some of his/her harvest?
~ Have baskets of goodies from a pick-your-own farm?
~ Found some treasures at your local farmer's market?
Share them here!


* Please don't forget to link back to Ms. enPlace or grab a button.
* Link your post--not your home page.
* Since growing seasons differ so much even across the US, old/archived posts are welcome, but please edit with a link back or a button.
* Have fun visiting other blogs!


Garden Variety Wednesday schedule:
July 20, August 10 & August 24




********************************

I'm linking up with the following...head on over!

Food on Friday: Melons @ Carole's Chatter

Make a Food-"e"-Friend Monday @ The Saturday Evening Pot

 
Tuesdays at the Table @ All The Small Stuff

Tasty Tuesday @ Naptime Creations

Hearth and Soul vol 55 @ A Moderate Life

Delectable Tuesday @ Home Sweet Farm


Made it on Monday #17 @ Lark's Country Heart


Let's Do Brunch @ The Life and Times of the 21st Century Housewife
and My Sweet & Savory

Turning the Table Thursday @ Around My Family Table

What's Cooking Thursday @ Feeding Four


Foodie Friday @ Little Brick Ranch

Fresh Food Friday @ la bella vita

Friday Food @ Mom Trends


Simply Delish @ KB & Whitesnakes Home

18 comments:

  1. Michelle this looks so yummy. I have got to try this. My daughter loves watermelon and we think she is allergic to red dye so she doesnt get much "red" stuff. So I try to make things with fruit that she can eat and not feel left out. I think putting these in the popsicle molds would be awesome. I will have to get a watermelon and try this. Thanks again for such a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're like you. We can't ever finish a watermelon between the three of us. I do love the idea of making it into a lemonade though. I'll be giving this a try as well.

    I'm sorry that the popsicles didn't work out. That's a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so refreshing and delish! I just bought a watermelon and I can't wait to try it! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is perfect for the hot summers. Cooling and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linked up my Bumbleberry Cobbler, even though I made this with frozen fruit, it could really be made with fresh as well. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this looks so good! I'll have to hide some watermelon from the kids so I can make this for them :)

    Thanks for sharing at what's cooking thursdays!!

    www.savingthosedollars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm yum! We'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for linking up to Made it on Monday! I think the watermelon lemonade sounds so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for stopping by and inviting me over to participate in your party! I am going to add this to my list of parties and stop by and link up again some time. Watermelon lemonade sounds so refreshing to me. I would have thought the watermelon and mint combination would have been delicious in a popsicle. I am sorry that they didn't work for you. Thanks so much, again, for hosting and for the invitation to join in with you. I look forward to visiting the links posted and making some new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh...sweet and simple....I LIKE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love watermelon.

    Thanks for sharing your recipe with us at
    Simply Delish. Hope to see you again next weekend. I'm going to pop back later with a link to share.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7/08/2011

    This looks delicious. I love strawberry lemonade so why not with a watermelon!


    Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday. I hope to see you again next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Watermelon lemonade, what a fantastic idea and a great way to use watermelon. I'm thinking a shot or two of vodka might go good too......

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too pretty for words. We made strawberry lemonade this week--great minds think alike! Thanks so much for sharing on Momtrends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! What a bummer the popsicles didn't work out...but I bet the you could freeze the drink successfully. Deeelicious. And I'd forgotten about your link-up...I'll be back with something in a few minutes :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, this wonderful recipe is a "caught my eye" highlight from last weeks hearth n soul. Thanks!
    PS I agree with Brenda, a little vodka might be nice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds like such a refreshing drink - and I definitely think it would be tasty frozen too! Thank you for sharing it with Let's Do Brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Check it out- Your watermelon lemonade is featured on Little Brick Ranch, Foodie Friday. Congrats! http://www.littlebrickranch.com/2011/07/foodie-friday-17-featuring-most-clicked.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FuhIRw+%28Walnut+Avenue%29

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.