Aug 18, 2010

No Sweat Summer: Chocolate Mousse

This is the last of the easy, cool treats for No Sweat Summer. For other ideas, see the list below.

Making the mousse was no problem.  Even though it seems like a lot of steps, I was easily able to throw it together to chill in under the 40 minutes I had before work one morning. Coming up with some some substance for this entry was problematic. What can I say about chocolate mousse other than “Yum?”

Is “yum” enough said?

But there I was sitting on the couch with my feet up on the coffee table

cause that’s how we roll around here

eating chocolate mousse

as it should be


when The Boy asked what it was.

“Chocolate Mousse.”

“Oh.” Pause. Which means wheels are turning. “Well, um, what part is the moose? Can you show me?”

“What do you mean?”

“Where’s the moose that’s in it?”

After some giggling: “It’s not moose spelled m-o-o-s-e. It’s spelled m-o-u-s-s-e.”

“Ooooh.” Pause. Which means wheels are crankin full speed. “Well, why is it spelled that way? What does m-o-u-s-s-e mean?”

Then The Husband starts in, turning to me with a look…a look that said “yeah, why is it called mousse, Miss Chocolate? What’s the deal?”

Look. All I wanted to do is sit like a slug and enjoy some sinful chocolate mousse. Not play the home version of "Who's on First."

I should have known better.

But that got me thinking…why is it mousse? What’s that mean? So I pulled my trusty Food Lover’s Companion from a bookshelf and looked it up.

By the way, you should really get a copy of this book. You’ll feel like such a smarty.

Mousse is a French term that means foam or froth, alluding to the foamy whipped texture.

And mousse is so much tastier to lick off a spoon compared to moose.

This happens to be Alton Brown’s Chocolate Mousse.
And it’s fantastic.
And I love that there's no raw egg in it.
Because that seriously skeeves me out.
Like, to the max.



Mise en place: chocolate chips, butter, coffee, rum, heavy cream, unflavored gelatin

Really…how can you go wrong?
 

Melt the chocolate chips with the butter, rum, and coffee in a double boiler…or just MacGyver it. Stir for nice even melting and no scorched chocolate.



Did I mention that it tastes fabulous like this too?


Meanwhile, whip 1 ½ cups of heavy cream.
Use ¼ cup of cream for working with the gelatin.
Sprinkle the gelatin in the ¼ cup of cream and let it sit 10 minutes to bloom.



By now, your chocolate should be good and melted. Let it sit to cool to body temperature.
How do you know when that may be?


When the gelatin has bloomed, gently warm it over a flame.
Add to the chocolate.



Stir ¼ of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture.
No need to be dainty this round.


Then gently fold in the rest of the whipped cream in two batches.
Don’t be a maniac here. You won’t get nice fluffy mousse if you stir like a crazy person.



Spoon into serving dishes and chill for about an hour. If you’re chillin longer, cover with plastic wrap so there’s no moose mousse skin.



The recipe can be found on FoodNetwork, by the way

5 comments:

  1. I seriously skeeve the raw egg too. Brrr! Which is why I never make chocolate mousse. Oh, and also because I would eat every last bit of it! LOL

    But now I'm going to have to make this mousse, because how sad would it be if I didn't?! Thanks for the temptation ... and the sweet story to go with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, hold up a minute....you can't be Miss Chocolate because that's my name:)

    I'm glad you shared this recipe because I don't care for raw egg either, especially since the salmonella scare is all over the news right now. I love that this recipe is spiked with the coffee and rum. Such a yummy, fluffy treat!

    Did the boy ever try it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diva-it would be sad not to try this. The mix of coffee, chocolate, and rum is super.

    Kim-The boy did try it despite the fact that he thought it was chocolate covered moose. I let him...the tiny amt of rum per serving (it makes a lot) didn't bother me.

    Sorry to take your name. I'm sure The Husband can come up with something else to call me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. chocolate mousse. wow. How heavenly. I think I would make it and hide it behind unappealing vegetables in the freezer. I would so NOT share!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Besides "yum" you had me at "Rum".

    This looks so yummy...and while I wish it didn't the raw egg think kind of creeps me out too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.