Apr 13, 2015

Southern Salad {Sweet Pea Salad}

We eat a lot of salads down here.

Sweet Pea Salad | Ms. enPlace

 

Potlucks, BBQs, family gatherings.
Salads are always on the table.

Sweet Pea Salad | Ms. enPlace

Southern salads are more about fruit and Jello and macaroni and mayonnaise than lettuce and tomato.

Sweet Pea Salad | Ms. enPlace

I'm not big on Jello salads.
It's taken me a while to like mayo based salads too.

Sweet Pea Salad isn't something I grew up eating, but it is very popular here in Cajun country.

Sweet Pea Salad | Ms. enPlace

Since it deals with mayonnaise, I didn't think I would like it.  But a little old Cajun lady insisted I try it at a potluck supper.  (She made it.)
Now it's one of the first things I pick as a side for a plate lunch.

Sweet Pea Salad | Ms. enPlace

For the dressing, I took a tip from my late grandmother-in-law (another little old Cajun lady).  When she made potato salad, she mashed the hard boiled egg yolk into the mayonnaise and mustard to create a thick, creamy dressing.

Featured at:
Featured on Morsels of Life: Five Friday Finds Olives-n-Okra

Print It

Sweet Pea Salad

1 (15 oz) can Petit Pois, drained
3 hard boiled eggs
2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
1/2 tsp Tony's Creole Seasoning
1 1/2-2 tsp sugar
heaping 1/4 cup Blue Plate mayonnaise

Place drained petit pois in a large salad bowl.

Cut the hard boiled eggs in half.  Pop the yolks out of each half and place in a small bowl.  Mash with a fork.  Add the onion, Tony's, and sugar to the mashed egg yolk and stir.  Stir in the mayonnaise to make a dressing.

Dice the hard boiled eggs (mins the yolk) and toss with the peas.  Fold in the dressing.

Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.


More Salads...
Summer Salad w/ Blackberry Thyme Vinaigrette
Blackened Shrimp Pasta Salad w/ Creole Tomato Dressing
Pink Fruit Salad








Linking with:
What'd You Do This Weekend
Yesterfood
The 21st Century Housewife Hearth and Soul Blog Hop
Lou Lou Girls Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Celebrate It!
Olives-n-Okra
My Turn for us
Share your recipes on Morsels of Life: Five Friday Finds

10 comments:

  1. I would love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Michelle! Gabe is going to LOVE this!

    You know how much he loves his potatoes- remember we use to bring 50 pounds down to Florida with us? We don't do that anymore but he still loves them and his next favorite is peas!!!

    I'm going to make this and add it to my blog and add your link as usual.

    Thanks

    hugs
    linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever had Sweet Pea Salad, it sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend? I hope you will join us again this Monday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello gorgeous! I love seeing your masterpieces.Thank you for bringing such great things to our party. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you on Monday at 7 pm.. Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  5. This salad is definitely for me, and I'd looooooooooove to try it.
    Pinning

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Sweet Pea Salad reminds me of the sort of salads we enjoyed on our family buffet tables when I was growing up, Michelle! We had a lot of fruit and jello and macaroni and mayonnaise too :-) I love the sound of this - especially the yummy dressing. Isn't it amazing what hard boiled egg can do!! I've pinned this for the next time I host a buffet - I can't wait to try it! Thank you for sharing with us at the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle,
    This is an interesting vegetarian salad. I would have never thought to add mayonnaise, but like you I guess I will have to try it.. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks absolutely delicious. You're featured this week on Funtastic Friday. Thanks for linking and sharing with us. Hope to see you again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That egg yolk is such a great idea! And you're right, Southerners will call a lot of things salad. :P Thanks for stopping by and sharing this recipe with us - you're featured this week on Five Friday Finds! I'm looking forward to what you share this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks strangely good...and easy. Haven't stopped by for a while, glad to see you're still cooking up a storm!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.