Mar 2, 2015

Shrimp Etouffee with Mushrooms

I'm going to tell you a little secret about a famous Cajun dish.
One where shortcuts are taken.

Even (if not especially) in highly praised, highly rated "Cajun restaurants."

 

True story.
But I'm not naming names.

Just know that rather than using a roux, many restaurants and home cooks turn to cream of mushroom soup to thicken etouffee (and even gravy).

Shrimp Etouffee w/ Mushrooms | Ms. enPlace


Another true story: I've used a lot of cream of mushroom in my day.  A lot.
When I first learned to cook, it was the start of many meals.

Hell, I've made and eaten plenty of crawfish etouffee that started out with cream of mushroom soup.

The thing is, it kind of skeeves me out now.
Shrimp Etouffee w/ Mushrooms | Ms. enPlace

But I do love mushrooms.  And I wondered what would happen if fresh mushrooms were added to shrimp etouffee.

What happened was that the mushrooms made the gravy even darker and richer than with just a roux.  And much darker than cream of mushroom soup would have.

Shrimp Etouffee w/ Mushrooms | Ms. enPlace

Tips:
How to make shrimp stock
How to make a roux


Featured at:
Featured on Morsels of Life: Five Friday Finds

Print It!

Shrimp Etouffee with Mushrooms

1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
about 1/2 cup flour
1 stick butter
2 1/2 cups shrimp stock
1 to 1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 to 1 1/2 tsp Tony's Creole Seasoning
1 bay leaf
1 lb peeled shrimp
1/4 cup chopped green onion, plus 2 Tbsp for serving
4 cups cooked rice

Have all the vegetables chopped before starting the roux.
In a cast iron or stainless steel pot, melt the butter over medium heat.  Sprinkle in 1/2 cup flour and stir.  Continue slowly stirring the mixture.  If pools of butter form, sprinkle in a small amount of flour.  Stir until the roux is the color of a shiny penny.

Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and mushrooms and saute for about 15 minutes.  Pour in the shrimp stock.  Add the seasonings and bay leaf.  Simmer for about 10 minutes.

Add the shrimp and 1/4 cup green onion.  Cover and simmer another 20 minutes (rice can be cooked during this time).  Serve over rice and sprinkle the remaining green onion over each serving.  Serves 4.


 More shrimp...
Shrimp Salad Stuffed Tomatoes
Shrimp Creole Calas w/ Lemony Garlic Mayo
Shrimp & Andouille Baked Potatoes










Linking with:
Yesterfood
The 21st Century Housewife Hearth and Soul Blog Hop Lou Lou Girls
I party and get pinned at Tasty Tuesdays on Anyonita Nibbles Miz Helen’s Country Cottage
What'd You Do This Weekend
Celebrate It! My Turn for us
Share your recipes on Morsels of Life: Five Friday Finds

8 comments:

  1. Looks delicious Michelle! I love mushrooms. I feel about mushrooms like you feel about spinach. I love your photos too. The colors are so pretty! I had to take a second look at that bay leaf. Thought it might have been spinach? ;) I remember the first time a co-worker told me she used cream of mushroom in her recipe instead of roux. I was shocked! Since then I have used it in crawfish enchiladas and it is delicious! Who knew? There is more then one way to make a pot of anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks good! I have stopped ordering etouffee around here (except at one place) because it tastes like, well, cream of mushroom soup. I may try this as soon as I can get my hands on some more gulf shrimp...used the last I had in the gumbo last night...it was yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle,
    I can almost taste your amazing Etouffee. I think you are the master of Cajun Cooking, I send all my friends to your site for Cajun recipes. Thanks so much for sharing this awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great weekend and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious! I love shrimp etouffee, pinning to try. Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend? I hope you will join us again tomorrow morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've used Cream of Mushroom soup in recipes from time to time but I really like how you've made this Shrimp Etouffe from scratch, Michelle. I always think it tastes better. The flavours you have used are wonderful! Thank you for sharing with us at the Hearth and Soul hop. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving this! You always bring such amazing things to our party. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you tonight at 7 at our party. I can't wait! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving this recipe and how you added mushrooms without the canned soup! Thanks for stopping by and sharing this recipe with us - you're featured this week on Five Friday Finds! I'm looking forward to what you share this week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.