Mar 30, 2015

Blackened Shrimp Po'Boys and Blackened Sweet Potato Fries

So I have to tell you something.
I hate sandwiches.

Blackened Shrimp Po'Boys | Ms. enPlace

Growing up, I called them "barfwiches."
All white bread and gummy in my lunchbox.

Note: I grew up in the 80s.  Sometimes things were totally rad.  But mostly everything either gagged you with a spoon or made you barf.

But Po'Boys...
Po'Boys are not sandwiches.
No duh.
And they are one of my favorite foods.
Totally rad.  Dude.

Blackened Shrimp Po'Boys | Ms. enPlace

Something else I have to tell you is that at one time I was anti blackened anything.  It was a fad.  A silly thing to keep alive the incorrect belief that Cajun food = super spicy food.

Blackened Sweet Potato Fries | Ms. enPlace


Yet here I am with Blackened Sweet Potato Fries and Blackened Shrimp Po'Boys (not sandwiches).

Blackened Sweet Potato Fries | Ms. enPlace

Way gnarly!

Featured at:
What'd You Do This Weekend Olives-n-Okra

Print It

Blackened Shrimp Po'Boys
1 lb peeled shrimp
juice of 1/2 lemon
1- 1 1/2 tsp blackening seasoning (see below)
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large loaf French bread
shredded lettuce
sliced tomato
mayo or blackened mayo (see below)

Toss shrimp with lemon juice and blackening seasoning in a bowl.  Let sit for about 20 minutes.  Slice the French bread into 2 large po'boys or 4 small ones.  Toast the bread if desired.  Have the bread, lettuce, tomato, and mayo ready for when the shrimp are finished.

Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium high heat.  Add the shrimp and saute until shrimp are cooked through.

Spread mayo or blackened mayo on the bottom of the po'boy bread.  Divide the shrimp between the po'boys, along with the lettuce and tomato.  Serve right away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Print It

Blackening Seasoning
1 Tbsp paprika
1/2 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano

Combine all spices.  Store in an airtight container.  Makes about 1/3 cup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Print It

Blackened Mayo
use on blackened shrimp or fish po'boys or as a dip for french fries or sweet potato fries

1 cup mayo (I use Blue Plate)
4 tsp blackening seasoning

Mix together in a small bowl.  Cover and refrigerate for about an hour before using.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Print It

Blackened Sweet Potato Fries
3 large sweet potatoes
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 - 1 1/2 Tbsp blackening seasoning

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Give the potatoes a head start by pricking with a fork and cooking in a microwave for 7-8 minutes.

Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into fries.  Toss with oil.  Sprinkle on seasoning and toss again.  Place in one layer on a baking pan.  Bake for 30-40 minutes, turning once, until done.

Serve with Blackened Mayo if desired.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

More Po'Boys...
Fish Po' Boys w/ Homemade Tartar Sauce
Creole “Sauced” Sausage Po Boys
Shrimp Po’ Boys w/ Remoulade Sauce








Linking with:
What'd You Do This Weekend
Yesterfood
The 21st Century Housewife Hearth and Soul Blog Hop
Lou Lou Girls Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Celebrate It!
Olives-n-Okra
My Turn for us
Share your recipes on Morsels of Life: Five Friday Finds

10 comments:

  1. Giggle ... I so get it! ;-) I was anti blackened anything for the longest time too ... then Hubby started making this blackened chicken stuff ... to die for! Gonna have to try your blackened seasoning instead of buying the "blackened seasoning" stuff in a jar ;-) Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! The sandwich and the bread looks perfect. And the thought of blackened sweet potato fries makes my heart sing. I LOVE fries! Can't wait to try your blackening seasoning. I just recently started using it on baked chicken. Prudomme's has a very unattractive whole herb in his. It freaks me out everytime. I am pinning and making yours next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What it is call really doesn't matter, as long as it is yummy. It looks so yummy, I like shrimps very much. I am sure I will definitely love this. Lot of shrimps and vegetables with great seasoning sauce, a great dinner before my favorite TV shows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle, I sure hope you bring this on over to Food on Friday. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love po' boys and blackened shrimp and seafood of any kind, this sounds absolutely incredible! I can't wait to give this a try at home, pinning.

    Thiis will be one of my features at What'd You Do This Weekend? tomorrow morning. Happy Easter and I hope you will join us again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michelle,
    Hope you and your family had a great Easter. We love a Po Boy and your's looks awesome! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious Looks delicious thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop, pinning, tweeting and sharing in google plus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to try this seasoning. Everything looks great. Sorry, I have not been around. It has been busy with the Jewish holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This po boy reminds me of the time I lived in New Orleans. An awesome and delicious sandwich for sure! Thanks for linking up and sharing with us at Funtastic Friday. We're featuring your recipe this week. Hope you can join us again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.