Aug 27, 2014

What's the Haps Wednesday {Mardi Gras, being old, and an award}

What's the haps around here?

* It's about 6 months until Mardi Gras


and I'm thinking about a twist on my King Cake for Mardi Gras 2015.  I have an image of a purple, green, and gold jelly roll cake.


But I've never made a jelly roll cake and...honestly, am kinda scared to do it.  Pretty sure it'll end up being shoved in a bowl and called a trifle.




* School is back in.  This year it's Junior High.  I woke up one day old enough to have an almost-teenager.  Seriously.  How did this happen?  Not cool, Time.  Not cool at all.

* My dad asked why I call this weekly post "what's the haps."  It's a phrase from one of my favorite authors, James Lee Burke.  I've been a fan of his Dave Robicheaux detective series for a long time.  If you couldn't tell by the character's last name, it's set in Louisiana.

* Finally, Jillian at Creating Silver Linings nominated me for a Liebster Award.  Thank you, Jillian, for thinking of me!
Liebster award badge

The rules are:

+ Share eleven random facts about myself.
+ Answer Jillian's eleven questions.
+ Pass the award on to other bloggers.
+ Ask these bloggers eleven new questions.

Eleven Facts
1. I keep a secret stash of chocolate because secret chocolate tastes better than chocolate for everybody.

2. Know how the Dyson guy just thinks that things should work properly?  That's me.

3. I've never broken a bone.

4. I set three alarms in the morning.  First alarm at 4:15.  Second at 4:35 because the best sleep is between 1st and 2nd alarm.  Third alarm is at 4:47 because that is the absolute LAST possible minute I can stay in bed and still get to work on time.  No, none of this makes sense.  I don't care.

5. My favorite color is brown.  Not a pretty blue or vibrant red.  Brown.  Just brown.

6. I have two younger brothers and no sisters.

7.  I love when people misunderstand song lyrics.  It's usually better than the actual song.  Some of my favorites: Awesome shoes are on me (Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar on Me"), I like fried chicken (Simple Minds' "Alive and Kicking"), Looks like tomatoes (Barry Manilow's "Looks Like We Made It).

8. I love puns.  The worse the better.  Or something like that.

9. If Coke is not available, don't ask, "is Pepsi ok?".  It is most certainly not.

10. My brothers and I once had an aquarium of crawfish as pets.

11. My zodiac sign is Virgo.  While I don't put much belief in this sort of thing, it is interesting that I do possess many of the typical virgo traits...analytical, exacting (to almost over-thinking), industrious, practical, methodical, cautious.  In other words, big fat snooze fest.

Eleven Questions from Jillian
1. Why do you write your blog?
I started writing as a way to chronicle moving back to Louisiana after being gone for 12 years.  While I still do that, sometimes I think I keep at it because it's an addiction.  Only half joking!

2. Are you an early bird or a night owl?
I used to be a night owl (as is my son).  But I have to be to work for 6 AM with a half-hour drive thrown in.  This owl wised up and goes to bed early.

3. What would you pick for your last supper?
A roast beef po'boy, dressed and dripping with debris gravy.  Followed by my weight in chocolate and coffee.

4. What’s your hidden talent?
I think it's still hidden.

5. Where was your best vacation?
Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels, TX.  I dreaded going to a water park.  Dreaded it.  Once I got there, I didn't want to leave.  Went back again this year and ditched the old man and son because they had had their fill of the rides and I hadn't.

6. What do you find to be the hardest thing about blogging?
Coming up with interesting content.  Can't force creativity.

7. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
Mind control.  Mwwwa haaa haa haa.

8. What is your favorite quote and by whom?
From my favorite poet, Walt Whitman: "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."

9. Describe your perfect day.
Spend the day at a camp on Grand Isle.  Drink coffee on the porch while the sun comes up.  Fish.  Crab.  Gig flounder at night.

10. What’s your best recipe?
Hard question because my answer changes based on time of year and mood.  One of my favorites right now is Roasted Okra & Tomato Topped Blackened Catfish over Cheesy Garlic Grits

11. What do you want your readers to understand most about your blog?
I don't blog for fame or fortune (good thing).  I blog to share my passion for my culture and it's cuisine.

And the Liebster Award goes to...

Soup Spice Everything Nice

Best of Long Island and Central Florida

Our Sunday Cafe

2 Kids and Tired Cooks

Full Time Mama

This West Coast Mommy

Eleven Questions
1. What was the first meal you cooked?
2. What is your favorite movie?
3. What is your favorite post on your blog?  (Don't forget the link!)
4. Do you like your name/do you think it fits you?
5. Are you on time or do you tend to be late?
6. Are you a planner or are you spontaneous?
7. What is the best piece of advice that you've been given?
8. What was your favorite childhood toy?
9.  If you could be a villain for a day, who would it be?
10. What is the best thing that has happened to you as a blogger?
11. If you could live anywhere, where would it be?

4 comments:

  1. Look at you with this award post! Thanks for thinking about me, and I should get started on writing my own. BTW, it was fun to learn more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I feel like a kid at Christmas! Thank you so very, very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome! Great stuff on your Leibster Award post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.