Nov 11, 2013

Dirty, Dirty Rice {and the last of Gretna Fest}

~~~~~*****~~~~~
Happy Birthday to my dad!
~~~~~*****~~~~~

I wasn't a picky eater as a child, but there were a few things I avoided.

Like Dirty Rice.  I mean, why was the rice dirty?
Did someone not wash their hands?  Drop the food on the floor?

Honestly, does it really matter how the rice got dirty?

Ms. enPlace: Dirty Rice

Somewhere along the way I learned that dirty rice is dirty because of the browned bits of meat mixed in with the rice.  And I was ok with that.

Until I learned that dirty rice doesn't just have meat in it...there's liver and sometimes gizzards floatin' around in there.  That's the kind of thing I'd rather not ask questions about.  Rather not know.

Ms. enPlace: Dirty Rice

So my dirty rice is dirty.  As in a dirty trick.  Dirty rice that has bacon drippings and ground pork to give porkiness and richness that livers and such usually add.   Down and dirty, Dirty Rice.

Ms. enPlace: Dirty Rice

Something else down and dirty is my favorite blues musician, Tab Benoit.

 Usually I feature Cajun & Creole music here.  While Tab Benoit is a blues musician, he's also from Houma, LA.  You can't take Cajun out of a bayou boy.

He has a way of weaving New Orleans funk, Zydeco, and Cajun sounds, themes, and lyrics into the blues.

One of my favorites is Fever for the Bayou.  I love the lyrics:
Got the fever for the bayou
Muddy waters take me home...

Down the Mississippi River, to the Gulf of Mexico.
Oh where I find my Cajun babe, and I dance a zydeco.

He opened with Fever for the Bayou at Gretna Fest 2013.  I was as giddy as a schoolgirl in pigtails.


The last day of Gretna Fest was a fine day.  Good weather, Saints on the big screen next to the stage (winning), and Tab Benoit singing on the banks of the Mississippi.

Another of my favorites:
Sac-au-lait Fishing

Again, I identify with the lyrics
There's something in the water that's callin' my name



More Tab Benoit
More Gretna Fest
And some more Gretna Fest


Print It!

(Dirty) Dirty Rice

1 ½ c white rice, cooked (can be made ahead)
½ Tbsp bacon drippings
½ lb ground beef
½ lb ground pork
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 hot pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
½-3/4 c beef broth
¾-1 tsp salt, or to taste
½ tsp black pepper, or to taste
1 tsp cayenne pepper
3 green onions, chopped and divided

Add the bacon drippings to a wide cast iron or stainless steel pot set on medium high heat.  When hot, add the beef and pork.  Cook until meat is well browned and sticking to the bottom of the pan (about 8-10 minutes).  Add the vegetables and sauté for a minute or two.  Add ½ cup broth.  Stir the broth and vegetables, using them to pull the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.  Stir in the salt, black pepper, and cayenne.  Lower the heat to medium and cook for about 10 minutes to soften the vegetables.  Stir in the rice and 2/3 of the green onion.  Add more broth if the mixture seems dry.  Heat through and taste for seasoning.  Before serving, top with the remaining green onion.
Serves 4 as a main dish.

Linking with:

Memories by the Mile
Feeding BigThe 21st Century Housewife Hearth and Soul Blog Hop
Full Time MamaMiz Helen’s Country CottageBWS tips button
My Turn for usIt's Fall Y'all 2013final smallerversion3 zpsf46d0aef
 photo SimpleSupperTuesday_zps93ff0e49.jpg

14 comments:

  1. Mmmm....I haven't had Dirty Rice in ages. It needs to be on the menu soon. Thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never eaten dirty rice, and although I've often heard of it, I did wonder why it's called dirty rice. Thanks for the explanation. I'd love to try this and I love your idea of adding all that porcine goodness as a substitute for the "gizzard flavour". I'm not a huge fan of gizzards (at least I'm pretty sure I'm not - not game to try them), but I do love chicken livers - would they be an acceptable inclusion in dirty rice. Also, what about chorizo sausage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen plenty of chicken liver in dirty rice. Not chorizo, though. Some recipes call for ground pork sausage. Add that to my love for chorizo and I'd be willing to try it, Sue!

      Delete
  3. I have made Dirty Rice exactly one time in my life. My mom used to make that stuff outta the box and truthfully, I wasn't very fond of it. I had some of the "good stuff" at a restaurant a few years ago - so I decided I would try to replicate it at home. Wouldn't you know every recipe I found had livers and gizzards in it?! I'm ok with eating them if I don't know what they are lol, but you won't find me cooking with them. Did that once and grossed myself out! Ain't gonna happen again! Now this sausage version, I dig that :) It's familiar and not so weird! My husband is a huge Dirty Rice fan - so I know I need to make this soon! Maybe with some fried chicken!! Mmmm - thanks, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I have no problem eating it if someone else has cooked. If I do the cooking, I get too skeeved out.

      Delete
    2. Glad it's not just me :) Thanks so much for linking up to Freedom Fridays last week! We hope you'll join us again tonight when the party goes live! {hugs}

      Delete
  4. I really like the sound of the 'dirty' rice - really rich and delicious. As a rule I don't eat gizzards etc but if I didn't know they were there I'm sure I'd love this! Thank you for sharing another wonderful post with the Hearth and Soul hop. And Happy Birthday to your Dad!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to Michelle's Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Granddaddy came down to visit once when I was a little girl and the house was abuzz because he was going to make dirty rice. Now I'd watched my Grandma make gizzards, liver and so on, all my life so he wasn't foolin' me when I watched him adding ingredients to his dirty rice. I was skeptical, but gave it a go...found out why the house was abuzz and have loved Dirty Rice ever since. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous presentation, Michelle! I didn't know about the liver and gizzards.... I think I like your version of dirty rice much better, LOL. Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never hear of it.
    It looks good :) and I like your presentation
    I might try if for my husband (but without the pork!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Michelle,
    I love that music, it really gets me going! I would really like your dirty rice recipe because it doesn't have any of those chicken parts in it. Thank you so much for taking the time during this busy season to share your wonderful post with Full Plate Thursday. Have a wonderful weekend and hope to see you again real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you... This can be just as good with normal foods in it rather than liver and "other" things. lol It looks amazing! Thank you for sharing with us at Delicious Dish Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.