Aug 28, 2013

Broccoli and Gorgonzola Pie

I was on a blue cheese kick for a while.

It started with this Summer Salad w/ Blackberry Vinaigrette.  There was leftover blue cheese.  So I made blue cheese burgers.  But then I wanted more salad and had to buy more blue cheese.  There was leftover blue cheese again.  So I decided to make Broccoli & Gorgonzola Pie.

Broccoli & Blue Cheese Pie: Ms. enPlace

Which led to buying more blue cheese.  And more leftover blue cheese afterwards.
Such is the (stinky) circle of life of my fridge contents.

You'd think the blue cheese (which I prefer to gorgonzola) would be the dominant part of this pie.  But for me it was the creamy base of leeks, heavy cream, chives, and grainy mustard.  I used Creole Mustard.

I had trouble not eating this mustardy mix with a spoon.


I used garlic chives since that's what I had an abundance of.  I didn't bother sealing the layers of puff pastry together and I didn't use an egg wash over the top (I don't like that eggy taste).

Broccoli & Blue Cheese Pie: Ms. enPlace
Broccoli & Blue Cheese Pie from Yotam Ottolenghi's Plenty
(I have the Kindle version--just under $10)

The husband and I loved this pie.  The Boy...I didn't bother to offer him any because he doesn't like savory pies and tarts.  They are "too rich" for his taste.

I look forward to my next blue cheese kick.  This pie will top the list of things to make.

Print It

Broccoli & Blue Cheese Pie
slightly adapted from Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi

1 package puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
about 1 lbs broccoli florets
2 tbsp butter
3 leeks, trimmed and thinly sliced
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup chopped garlic chives
3 Tbsp Creole mustard
1 tsp salt
black pepper
7 oz blue cheese crumbles

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Roll out one of the puff pastry sheets into a circle so that it fits a 9-10 inch tart pan.  Place the pastry in the tart pan and remove excess pastry.  Roll out the second sheet of pastry about the same size as the first.  This will be the top of the pie.  Freeze both the pastry in the tart pan and the top pastry for about 10 minutes.

Line the pastry in the pan with parchment paper and fill it with baking beans. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until light brown. Remove the paper and beans and return to the oven to bake for about 5 more minutes.  Set aside.

Meanwhile, boil the broccoli for about 2 minutes, or until crisp-tender  Drain and set aside to dry. Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat and cook the leeks for about 10, or until softened.  Stir in the cream, water, chives, mustard, salt, and black pepper.

Spread the leek mixture on the bottom layer of puff pastry.  Press the broccoli into the leek mixture. Scatter the blue cheese over the broccoli and leek mixture.  Place the second sheet of puff pastry on top.  Seal if desired.  Trim off any excess pastry. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown. Allow to cool a little before removing from the pan and serving.



Linking with

Ottolenghi "Pies & Tarts" @ I Heart Cooking Clubs
IHCC Ottolenghi Leek Badge resized


 MyMeatlessMondays

11 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle,
    That is one delicious looking pie! I have never tried any type of blue cheese before. I really should, one of these days!
    I can relate to the circle of life on your fridge contents! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this looks amazing, hun! I can't wait to try it. It would be perfect for a #MeatlessMonday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I REALLY wanted to make this pie, but I'm in a desperate attempt to shave off another ten pounds before my 20 year high school reunion (which is in two short weeks). I will definitely try it though because it looks and sounds delicious. I pretty much crave broccoli and mustard on a regular basis. Loving that flaky crust!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand the vicious blue cheese cycle!! I absolutely adore this pie - I've made it several times now and I get frequent requests for it (which I can tell you doesn't happen with everything I make). Like you I love that creamy, leeky, mustardy filling, and I always devour several big spoonfuls of it that never make it into the pie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look at the creamy cheese and I am in love with the pie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pie sounds fantastic and looks stunning! I've had this recipe flagged for a long time but had forgotten about it. It's now on the list of things to make soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely pie :)
    We love broccoli and if you say that the blue cheese is only the creamy base - then this is a pie for us :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing! I'm pinning as we speak. I wish I had everything needed to make it right now. It's definitely on the list for this week! YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love blue cheese! And just about everything else in this pie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous pie! That filling looks and sounds amazing. I loves me some blue cheese too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Michelle! I have been eyeing up this one for quite some time. It's what I call balance goodness from the broccoli & a little decadence from the blue cheese....heaven :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.