Jun 24, 2011

IHCC Gets Fresh w/ Jamie

Over at I Heart Cooking Clubs, we're still cookin' away with Jamie Oliver.  Lots of great summer themes coming. Click below for the scoop.
IHCCJamieOliver



This week's theme is "Get Fresh w/ Jamie: Celebrating the best of early summer produce."

My delicate early summer produce is a thing of the past...dried and shriveled from record heat and drought.

Right now we're into corn, okra, watermelons, and finishing up the tomatoes.

Home grown tomatoes. One of my favorite things about summer.
A
nd I'm particularly fond of cherry tomatoes.


I've been breaking my "no oven when it's hot" rule lately because there are just too many things that look so darn good.

Jamie Oliver's Sweet Cherry Tomato & Sausage Bake
And this was darn good--I'm glad I broke my rule!


Jamie Oliver mentions his preference for roasting sausages as opposed to other cooking methods and I think he's on to something. The sausages had that great juicy on the inside, nice and browned on the outside thing going on.The tomatoes cooked down into this nice almost sticky, almost jammy sauce infused with herbs and garlic.


Eye-catching even before I put it in the oven.
Smelling it cook was torture.


I halved the recipe because I couldn't give 4 lbs of cherry tomatoes to one recipe. Would rather spread the love. I also threw in a couple of Beefmasters that were about to go. JO suggests serving this over mashed potatoes or polenta.


I made grits. I know you're shocked.


Also Sharing this with Cookbook Sundays at Mom's Sunday Cafe
Mom's Sunday Cafe Cookbook Sunday's Button

This post feature at:
Photobucket

Printer Friendly

Sweet Cherry Tomato & Sausage Bake
from Jamie at Home


4 1/4 pounds lovely ripe cherry tomatoes, mixed colors if you can find them
2 sprigs each fresh thyme, rosemary and bay
1 tablespoon dried oregano
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
12 good-quality coarse Italian pork sausages
Extra-virgin olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Get yourself an appropriately sized roasting pan, large enough to take the tomatoes in 1 snug-fitting layer. Put in all your tomatoes, the herb sprigs, oregano, garlic and sausages. Drizzle well with extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Toss together, then make sure the sausages are on top and pop the pan into the oven for half an hour. After this time, give it a shake and turn the sausages over. Put back into the oven for 15 to 30 minutes, depending on how golden and sticky you like your sausages.


Once cooked, you'll have an intense, tomatoey sauce. If it's a little too thin, lift out the sausages and place the pan on the stove to cook it down to the consistency you like - I tend to make mine quite thick - then put the sausages back in. Check the seasoning and serve either with a good-quality loaf of bread warmed through in a low oven for 10 minutes (great for mopping up the sauce!) or with mashed potato, rice or polenta, a green salad and a nice glass of wine.


8 comments:

  1. I am so excited because - I have ALL those ingredients here now! Making plans for this one, deliciously plated :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, this looks scrumptious and I can't wait to try it! Love the herb combo and that tomato gravy! Sinful, cher! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd break the rules for that dish, too, it looks amazing! Definitely trying this one out, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm roasted tomatoes are definitely one of my most favorite things to eat! This bake looks delicious. Totally worth rebelling against the "rules" for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, sausage and cherry tomatoes. Wonderful!
    I can't believe how early your seasons are. We don't even start getting our first garden tomatoes for at least another month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay printer friendly recipes AND easy commenting where I don't have to hit the back button? PARADISE! lol. I have to look around here for more Jamie Oliver recipes, LOVE that guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing with Cookbook Sundays, I appreciate it and always look forward to your visits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew that looked good. Just pinned it and printed this recipe. I'm going to try it with low fat Italian chicken sausages. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.