Jun 28, 2011

Chocolatey & Frozen. Interested?

Pssst.  Come see.
I have a secret.
Double Chocolate.


Pssst.  Come back.
I have another secret.
Granita.

Did that get your attention?  I thought it might.  It got mine.

I made this for our anniversary.
If I'm being honest with you (and myself), when I first read the recipe I had my doubts.

Mixing water with chocolate? Isn't that a big, serious no-no?

This makes one wonder why, if I wasn't totally sold, would I make this for a special occasion.

Let's save analyzing my wisdom for another day.
Let's analyze this instead.

I couldn't possibly pass up double chocolate.  And granita.  Joined together, all chocolatey and frozen.  Could you?

Go on, now.  Start clearing room in your freezer. 

Notes:
Easy.  Affordable.  Very chocolatey. 

I had everything I needed (which would be where my wisdom comes in).  Well, sort of.  I had bittersweet chocolate, which can be subbed for semi-sweet by adding 1 Tbsp sugar per oz of chocolate.

My one complaint is that the cinnamon was overpowering.  But that's easily fixed.

Never made granita?  Don't worry.  No fancy equipment needed. 
Unless you consider a fork and pan to be fancy. 
Here's a step-by-step Coffee Granita.


And a little something more to think about...
You're welcome.

Linking up with the following


 photo SimpleSupperTuesday_zps93ff0e49.jpg

Memories by the Mile


Make a Food-"e"-Friend #18 @ The Saturday Evening Pot
Tuesdays at the Table @ All The Small Stuff
Hearth and Soul vol 54 @ A Moderate Life
Delectable Tuesday @ Home Sweet Farm
Made it on Monday #16 @ Lark's Country Heart
Turning the Table Thursday @ Around My Family Table
What's Cooking Thursday @ Feeding Four
Potluck Friday Guest hosted by girlichef @ EKat's Kitchen
Foodie Friday @ Little Brick Ranch
Fresh Food Friday @ la bella vita
Friday Food @ Mom Trends

Simply Delish @ KB & Whitesnakes Home
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Double Chocolate Granita
from The Family Circle Cookbook: New Tastes for New Times

3 c water
3/4 c sugar
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
2 squares (1 oz ea.) semisweet chocolate Or chocolate chips
1/2 tsp vanilla 
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 pinch grated nutmeg

Stir together water and sugar in medium-size saucepan to dissolve sugar. Bring to boiling over high heat; boil 1 minute without stirring. Remove from heat. Chop semi-sweet chocolate. Stir chocolate, cocoa powder, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg into sugar mixture until well mixed and chocolate has melted. Pour into 9x9x2-inch square pan. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and place in freezer.

After about 45 minutes, scrape the surface of the mixture with a fork.  Place back in the freezer.  Check again after an hour and scrape, fluffing up the ice mixture.  Repeat until the mixture looks like fluffy shaved ice.  To serve, scrape out with ice cream scoop. If frozen solid, let soften in refrigerator for 15 minutes.  Can be stored, covered, in the freezer for several days.

16 comments:

  1. it all looks great! Hi! I just wanted to invite you to come share on my Tasty Tuesday party! Hope to see you there! http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing! And a printer friendly recipe! I love it here already!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks heavenly and so easy, too! I think I'll make a big batch of it for the freezer and indulge daily! :) Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily-I'll link up! If I don't get to it this week, I'll be by next week.

    Comfy Cook-I really enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by.

    Sheila-thanks! I'm glad you're here.

    Marguerite-thanks for the visit! Something about this reminded me of a chocolate sno-ball...which is my favorite kind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like the perfect summer treat to me. Just delicious. Come over and check out our chilled cantaloupe soup post, make a comment and you may get a visit and a wish granted from the Fairy Hobmother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so glad you linked this up to "Made it on Monday"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does seem like such an unlikely combination...but how fabulous! Definitely something to save and try sometime VERY soon ;D Yummmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need caffeine now, this one sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a refreshing summer treat. Thanks so much for linking on the Momtrends Friday Food swap. Have a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7/03/2011

    You are so welcome for the feature!! This looks so delicious and perfect for the heat wave we are going through right now. Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday. I hope to see you again next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness. It's one in the morning, and I should be going to bed, but instead I'm looking at your delicious food and my stomach is grumbling - because, well, it's so different and it looks like so much fun to try! I (surprisingly!) have all the ingredients for this, and will totally be making it in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing with
    Simply Delish. Hope to see you again next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yummy!! Thank for sharing at what's cooking thursdays!

    www.savingthosedollars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi MM,

    What a great granita recipe . . . DOUBLE chocolate! I'd be doomed and eat the whole bowl-ful Thanks for sharing on Fresh Food Friday; it is SO appreciated! I hope you have a great weekend and can stop by with another super recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa! Totally awesome! Need to try this, this summer. Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday. Have a great week Michelle!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.