Apr 11, 2011

IHCC: April Showers

April showers bring May flowers.
May flowers bring delicious fruit.

Fruit that can be used for this.


1-Minute Berry Ice Cream

We're celebrating April Showers with Jamie Oliver at I Heart Cooking Clubs.  Follow the link to see what's cookin' or to join in.
IHCCJamieOliver

Also linking with Food on Friday: Ice Cream & Sorbets @ Carole's Chatter

At first glance, this "1-Minute Berry Ice Cream" may look like a smoothie.  But the honey and mint really make it something special.  At least The Husband and I thought so.  The Boy was not impressed with the mint.

A second batch--sans mint--did the trick for him.  The adults missed the fresh punch of mint though.  

* We used fresh strawberries as the base instead of the blueberries.  The blueberries at the market were fuzzy.

* I don't know if it's because mine is a hand-me-down food processor, but I couldn't get it to adequately break down the frozen mixed berries.  I ended up transferring everything to the blender.


Printer friendly 

1-Minute Berry Ice Cream
from jamieoliver.com

1 x 500g pack of mixed frozen berries (about 1 lb)
150g fresh blueberries (about 1/3 pound)
3–4 tablespoons runny honey
1 x 500g tub of natural yoghurt (about 1 lb)
a few sprigs of fresh mint

In advance: Put 4 small glasses in the freezer, or you can serve straight into ice cream cornets, if you prefer.

When you're all set up and ready to go, get the glasses (if using) and the frozen berries out of the freezer. Divide the fresh blueberries between the glasses or cornets. Put the honey and yoghurt and leaves from the sprigs of mint into the food processor and whiz, then add the frozen berries and whiz again until combined. Spoon the frozen yoghurt over the fresh berries and serve. Yum.

15 comments:

  1. Wow, that is quick and it sounds really good, love the honey and fresh mint. It's actually healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very yummy! I make smoothies most mornings but this definitely looks like more a a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! I will totally be trying this one soon. It looks so refreshing and our 100+ degree temps are right around the corner.

    Wendy
    Around My Family Table

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't get much simpler than that, does it? But yup, it sounds wonderful...and I bet on a warm day, it'd taste divine. I'd definitely go for the mint, too :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strawberries are yum, so was this berrie ice Cream you made( i suppose). Going to try this anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mint in strawberries? Thats one great dessert to try for this season, not to mention its just a minute ready to feast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm definitely going to remember this recipe because it looks so simple, plus it's healthy. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me at ice cream...looks very refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos! I've always wanted to try making ice cream but could never find an easy alternative to the ice cream maker. This is exactly what I've been looking for, love all the berries!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! So fresh, and so easy! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm printing this recipe right now! Looks fresh, delicious and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simple and perfect as dessert or breakfast. ;-) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great recipe to share this week on IHCC! I love fresh ice creams and yogurts and can't wait to make this when I've got some fresh strawberries from the local farmers market!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you've made your own "ice cream" without using an ice cream maker. Yum...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ice cream in a minute! Fantastic. Have a lovely week, Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.