Sep 11, 2014

What's the Haps Wednesday {Gumbo Weather...maybe but probably not}

Louisiana is buzzing right now.  There's talk of that first whiff of Fall this weekend.

When I think of fall, this song always, always pops into my head.
"This Time of Year"
One of my favorite songs from one of my favorite bands (Better than Ezra) off of one of their best albums (in my opinion)




So anyway, this Fall weather.  At first our local forecast was lows: low 60s.  Highs: low 80s.
Now that's a cold front to us!

Cold fronts mean that we can go outside again for extended periods of time instead of just dashing from the air conditioning in the house to the air conditioning in the car.

Cold fronts also mean gumbo.  We even call it "gumbo weather."

Then it was lows: mid 60s.  Highs in the mid 80s.
That's pushing it for gumbo making.

Now it looks like it'll be only a few degrees lower than our current temps.
We may just turn that AC down and make gumbo anyway.
But probably not.

(Click the pictures for recipes)
Guinea Gumbo

Post Holiday Turkey Gumbo

Red Bean Gumbo

Gumbo Z'herbes

Crab & Shrimp Gumbo

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo


5 comments:

  1. My hubby loves to make gumbo and I have to admit he does a good job- I'm going to tell him to take his pick and make one of the above recipes for me.

    When he makes it I'll let you know how it turned out.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gumbo is one of my son's favorite things. I plan to post a few more this fall.

      Delete
  2. I am just smiling from ear to ear. One it is almost Gumbo weather! Almost I can just feel it. Two I love that Better Than Ezra is your favorite band. I went to high school with Tom Drummond. He was in my class in fact. Back then he was in a band called Critical Mass. They played at most school functions. Every won went nuts when they covered Van Halen's song Jump. Totally smiling, great memories. Love this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Denise! I've listened to them since I was in high school (graduated in 91). Since I was in New Orleans, everyone was crazy about their song King of New Orleans. Their live shows are excellent!

      Delete
  3. I know nothing about gumbo being from the north. I read through the ingredients for the Chicken and Sausage gumbo. It looks good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.