Jan 20, 2014

It's getting to be time {Crawfish Pie and Rhythms on the River}

You may as well know that I'm obsessed with time.  
Having enough time.
Running out of time.
Being on time.  Even though I'm often not.
Checking the time.  Even though I just did 2 minutes ago.
(Notice my trusty watch in this picture)
Crawfish Pie | Ms. enPlace

It's not always literal either.
I obsess about seasons and the time of year and what that means.
What needs doing.
What gets planted, farmed, hunted, harvested.

It's getting to be time to crawfish.
Crawfish Pie | Ms. enPlace

The rice fields I pass through between Eunice & Church Point have been re-leveled.  Levees rebuilt and fields flooded to change them over for crawfish.  

The recent full moon reflecting on the water instead of lighting a field was a welcome sight.  (No pictures, though because it's 5:30 AM when I head to work...and I'm usually running late.)



Crawfish Pond
Coming home in the afternoon, I've been seeing more and more activity in the ponds.  Farmers out harvesting.  Although the size is still small and prices high.
Crawfish Pond

But the time is coming.
Very soon.
Crawfish Pie | Ms. enPlace

Funny enough when I get on these time jags, I obsess about time so much that I seem to run out of it.

So this week I'm pulling out a Crawfish Pie recipe from a couple of years back.  These mini pies can be supper or party food depending on how mini you go.
Crawfish Pie | Ms. enPlace
I'm also pulling out something I should have put here a long time ago since it happened at the end of October.

Considering he just won Offbeat Magazine's 2013 Best Of The Beat Best Guitarist Award, seems like now is a great time.

My favorite blues musician, Tab Benoit, played in Lafayette, LA this past fall and put on a fantastic show (as usual).  The event, Rhythms on the River, was held at River Ranch Town Square.

Tab Benoit: One Foot in the Bayou


Tab Benoit: I Got Loaded



Beaucoup Crawfish
Crawfish Etouffee
Crawfish Calabacitas
Crawfish Stuffed Grilled Peppers






What's in the past... still tastes good
Trout Meunière
Gâteau de Sirop
Sausage Etouffee








Linking with:
Yesterfood
Feeding BigThe 21st Century Housewife Hearth and Soul Blog Hop
Full Time MamaMiz Helen’s Country Cottage
Jam Hands
My Turn for us


















Google+ Profile

19 comments:

  1. I love to hear of folks loving on Tab Benoit! I have listened to him for years ... also love Keb' Mo and Buddy Guy ... oh my .... good blues.

    Your crawfish pies look worthy of a song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Susan. I love some Tab Benoit. I'm Big on Taj Mahal and Albert Collins too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We cannot eat these, but I admit these little pies look super tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love them, Winnie. Thank you for taking the time to comment even when the food I post is forbidden for you.

      Delete
  4. Interesting about the crawfish, Michelle & I do love me some blues. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those crawfish pies look s-o-o-o good! I can't wait till it warms up and the crawfish come in. Love Tab Benoit, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Cindy. The more I listen to the blues, the more I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some mighty fine pictures, to boot..... in this blog entry! Enjoyed it a lot:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bayou music, oh yeah, and Crawfish Pie, the greatest! I am rocking at the computer! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you have a great weekend!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello my name is Francesca and I'm Italian. I discovered your blog by accident and I immediately liked, because there are so many interesting things. I have joined your followers. If you go too foul. Thank you. Francesca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Francesca. Thank you for coming by. I'm now following your blog.

      Delete
  10. The pies look delicious! I can get obsessed with time too. Thanks for linking to the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia. I'm definitely swinging by your party.

      Delete
  11. Hi Michelle~ Thanks for sharing your crawfish pies at Four Seasons Blog Hop:) They look delicious, would love to try crawfish someday:) I have been a fan of the blues and smooth jazz for years~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks delicious!! Thanks so much for linking up with us this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the rhytmn of your river, the way that the time flows and crawfish come and go into season.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.