Dec 6, 2013

Under 30 Minutes Despite My Mistakes {Gremolata Seared Chicken}

Another under 30 minute dish this week.  Did you miss last week's?

Considering the hijinks I pulled with this recipe, it's a wonder I was able to get it on the table in under 30.  The credit goes to Donna Hay's recipe for Gremolata Seared Chicken rather than my kitchen aptitude.


My aptitude was very poor that day.

Many styles of gremolata exist.  The one I make most often involves garlic, lemon, parsley, and bread crumbs.  Donna Hay's uses capers, lemon, and parsley.

I like gremolata--it gives a fresh burst to whatever dish it's sprinkled over.


 

But I didn't really (meaning not at all) read the recipe.  I made sure I had the ingredients (mostly) and that was my preparation.

The jar of capers I had in the fridge held roughly 1 teaspoon.  Not the 2 tablespoons I needed.
I did have a full jar of olives.  They're green like capers.  Salty like capers.  Close enough for me.

Seconds before slapping the chicken in the skillet I decided to read the recipe.

Sometimes there really is something to a recipe's title.  That fresh gremolata doesn't get sprinkled on top of cooked chicken.  Gremolata is sprinkled (I pressed it) onto chicken breasts and the whole dang thing is seared.

Lightbulb moment.


Even with my horrible focus, I had this made in about 20 minutes.  (Note: I did halve the chicken breasts lengthwise because they were thick.)

Review:  Easy, simple, and a new take on using gremolata.  Would pair with many sides like a simple salad (which is what we had), roasted potatoes, roasted broccoli, or green beans.  Definitely a recipe to keep in mind for a rushed night

or whenever my next bonehead mood strikes.


 photo SimpleSupperTuesday_zps93ff0e49.jpg         IHCC Donna Hay Badge resized 


Gremolata Seared Chicken
adapted from Donna Hay's Off the Shelf

1 heaping tsp chopped capers
2 Tbsp chopped green olives
1/2 cup Italian parsley
1 Tbsp lemon zest
black pepper

olive oil
3 chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise

On a cutting board, place the parsley, lemon zest, and black pepper over the chopped capers and olives.  Finely chop the mixture.

Add a drizzle of olive oil to a nonstick skillet placed over medium heat.  Press the gremolata into each side of the chicken breast halves.  When the oil is hot, add the chicken to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the first side turns golden.  Flip the chicken and continue cooking another 5 minutes or until chicken reaches 165F.

14 comments:

  1. You had me at capers! Chicken, caper and lemon seal the deal for me! Wonderful recipe, Michelle. Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle,
    Wow, this looks so delicious! I love both capers and olives, and with the flavours from the parlsey and lemons, I can just imagine how tasty this is! Simple and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to be so ingenious to just throw something together that looks so wonderful with a delish factor attached to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I have started cooking on more than one occasion and had not read the recipe through. Matter of fact, I did that last night!
    Your chicken dish looks great and it's always good to have a quick go-to this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just, in the past year, developed a taste for capers ... this gremolata sounds wonderful and I can just imagine the nice bit of crunch in the capers and olives from their searing on the outside of those chicken cutlets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dish looks and sounds wonderful. I'm a big fan of capers, olives and lemon so this would be a hit for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks easy yet delicious. I will be trying this chicken recipe soon. Thank you for sharing!
    Maria
    www.musicteachingandparenting.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hah! Loved your post. I too have a really bad habit of not really reading the recipe until I am smack in the middle of it. ;-) It looks like it turned out fab anyway. I love the idea of capers/olives in a gremolata.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never made a gremolata. This looks like a good time to start. Looks good

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading a recipe. What a great concept.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your account is hilarious. I suffer from the same problem, jump into cooking without reading the recipes. You did manage to salvage it though and did a great job by the looks of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh nice recipe. It looks so stunning. I like your post, thanks for hosting some different food guide.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Michelle, you did make me laugh - so much there I can relate to. Love your use of the olives in your gremolata to make up for the lack of capers - excellent thinking - and I love that the gremolata is smeared all over the chicken before searing. I never would have thought of that - I've always sprinkled it over finished dishes before, but this is a great idea. I'm thinking I would love doing this with fish too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Changes, additions, subtractions, whatever, it all looks just wonderful and the inspiration for it clearly caught your attention as it did mine. Nice photography!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.