Mar 7, 2013

March Potluck {Madhur Jaffrey}

While it's potluck week now, next week I Heart Cooking Clubs is hosting Kebab Week.  I picked out a Madhur Jaffrey kebab recipe but didn't want to serve them on naan as suggested.  The Husband has been low carbing it since October.

I needed something besides a plate of kebabs, lettuce, and onion.

Enter Fresh Red Chutney w/ Almonds (Lal Chutney) made with red bell pepper, mint, lemon juice, and almonds (in my case pecans).



This chutney is definitely "fresh" as the title says.  The raw red pepper, mint, and lemon juice all provide fresh as well as refreshing qualities.  At first I thought mint with red bell pepper might be strange, but it worked well.  I can see why the hamburger kebabs (they'll come around next week) are traditionally served with the Fresh Red Chutney.  The bright, crisp components of the chutney balanced out the spicy, heavy beef.

I really liked this whole plate and would make both the chutney and the kebabs again.  The chutney would also work well with grilled steak, chicken, pork, and fish.



IHeartCookingClubsMadhurJaffrey

Recipe Box Linky @ Bizzy Bakes
Recipe Box

Foodie Friends Friday


Printer Friendly

Fresh Red Chutney w/ Almonds (Lal Chutney)
from Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking


1/2 of a red bell pepper, deseeded and coarsely chopped
20 large mint leaves, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt (added to taste, used less)
fresh ground black pepper
1 Tbsp blanched, slivered almonds (Used pecans)
1 tsp dill, chopped (optional) (I skipped)

 Blend red pepper, mint, lemon juice, garlic, chili powder, salt and
 black pepper. Blend until smooth. Add nuts and blend again. Pour into
 bowl and check seasoning. Add dill if you wish.

13 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm over here laughing because I'm making those hamburger kebabs next week! I've been eyeballing them ever since I saw them in the book. So glad to know that you all liked them! They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks juicy and super delicious! I'm hosting a recipe link up party on my blog and would be thrilled if you decided to participate!!!
    http://dcinstyle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I've got hamburger kebabs on for next week too! But I think from another book -- I'll have to compare the recipes.
    I sometimes have the feeling I've made everything in "Quick&Easy" that doesn't have tomatoes in it (allergy in-house), but here you've found one more that I'm going to need to make. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3/08/2013

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Ms Jaffrey's recipes! Happening upon your little spot in cyberspace is such a nice surprise! Looking at this chutney recipe, I realize that I have all the ingredients in my pantry and some good mince in the freezer ... kebabs, a salad, and some jasmine rice would be just the ticket for this snowy weekend! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds AMAZING....I'm thinking it would be wonderful on my eggs for breakfast. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word, that looks really good. I love Madhur Jaffrey's recipes. Can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chutney is such a great way of waking up your palate! This one sounds super flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOWWW My Mom use to make chutney, and this recipe brings back wonderful memory
    I should really try to make it my self

    ReplyDelete
  10. okay so I have never had chutney. l Maybe it's about time and I can start with your recipe.
    Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday.
    Your co host from Nosh My Way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That looks interesting. I've never had chutney before. Thanks for sharing.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, I think I need to make this chutney--the flavor combination sounds wonderful. Wonder if it goes with Tofu? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.