Sep 21, 2012

IHCC: What's In Your Lunchbox?

When I was in school, what was on your lunchbox was usually more important than what was in it.


No one cared if mom had packed a thermos of soup or a bologna sandwich.  But God forbid you have an orange vinyl Ziggy "Munch"box

Ziggy Lunch Box
image from design crave
when E. T. was so very clearly the way to go.

I don't pack a lunch anymore.  Since I live just blocks away from work, I come home. When Fall hits, sometimes I even walk.  It's getting to be that time.

To all those brats who teased me about Ziggy...
How's that rushed burger on your lunch hour treating ya?


French Warm Goat Cheese Salad from Rick Bayless:
Fantastic!  We all loved this salad.  Of course, the goat cheese is the star.  Panko gives it an extra crunchy coating--which is an amazing contrast to the warm creamy interior.  The creaminess of the goat cheese also contrasts nicely with the dressing, which is tart...and made with things you probably have on hand.

* Make sure your goat cheese is super cold.  The way the recipe is written, you cut the disks, make the dressing, coat the disks in the bread crumbs, plate the salad, then broil the cheese.  Mine started to soften too much under the broiler.  I would  get your dressing and salad ready, keeping the goat cheese chilled.  Then, remove from the fridge and work with it (quickly).

I Heart Cooking Clubs is featuring "What's In Your Lunchbox?" recipes from Rick Bayless all week.
Rick Bayless @IHCC button rounded

Printer Friendly

French Warm Goat Cheese Salad
from Rick & Lanie's Excellent Kitchen Adventures by Rick Bayless

1 log goat cheese
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp French style mustard, smooth or coarse
1 tsp vinegar (I used white wine vinegar)
salt
1/2 cup coarse bread crumbs
6 cups loosely packed young salad greens

Cut cold log of goat cheese into 8 disks.
Preheat broiler.

Combine 1/4 c oil, pepper, mustard, vinegar, and 1/4 tsp salt in a small jar.  Lid and shake thoroughly.

In a small bowl, drizzle 1 Tbsp oil over the bread crumbs.  Use fingers to work oil evenly into crumbs.  Spread crumbs onto a plate.  Lay goat cheese disks in a single layer over the crumbs.  Sprinkle crumbs over the top.  One by one, pat crumbs into the disks on all sides, then lay disks on a baking sheet.

Place salad greens in a large bowl.  Shake the dressing again, then drizzle over greens (you may not need it all).  Toss to coat evenly.  Divide on four salad plates.

Set cheese under broiler.  Cook--watch very carefully and don't walk away--until crumbs are browned and cheese is soft (about 1 minute).  Use a spatula to turn cheese disks over.  Broil until browned.  Transfer two disks to each plate.

9 comments:

  1. Looks lovely! This would go great with the eggs and potatoes in my lunch box! Anything with cheese, gets top place with my kids! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I just discovered your blog. We don't have lunch box, in france. But it looks very good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never fried goat cheese before, but I've been wanting to for a while. This looks like a really good reason to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I had a Winnie the Pooh lunch box when The Waltons or Dukes of Hazard was clearly the way to go. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds VERY yummy! Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never cook it like this, sounds interesting though, and from Rick.... and French? - hope your weekend is off to a great start...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, I love French goat cheese salad! I think I made Tyler Florence's version, a hundred years ago. I need to make it again soon.
    I was a hippie flower child dharma brat - no lunch boxes of any sort as my parents didn't believe in (buying me anything) commercial stuff.
    I remember once being sent to school with a bag of raw mushrooms. I left it in the bag, on my hook, with my library book, for weeks or months. When it was found it was a slimey mess and my mother had to pay for my library book. Serves her right. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9/22/2012

    This sounds heavenly!! Except for the goat cheese... If goat cheese is at all fragrant of goats, I simply cannot eat it. It's a country thing. More of a "billy goat" thing. But...I'm envious!! Your salad looks wonderful and sounds fabulous! I love the panko coating! Maybe I'll find a brand that isn't too...goaty...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww... I like the Ziggy lunchbox! ;-) The salad looks wonderful. Warm goat cheese is one of life's little pleasures--especially when coated in crispy panko.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.