Jul 31, 2012

Plan B

Most of the time if a recipe doesn't work out, I move on.  Let it be.  Forget about it.
On to bigger and (hopefully) better things to make with my ingredients.

If you've ever grown banana peppers,

you know there's never a shortage.
Always a "looking for something to do with them."

A lady from my recipe swap group had an abundance of banana peppers.  She stuffed them with cream cheese and mozzarella and grilled them.
 

I made a filling of cream cheese, Parmesan, herbs, and garlic.
And it promptly oozed out of the peppers while I waited for them to finish grilling.
With all those peppers hanging on my plants, I decided not to let go of the idea.


Plan B
Roast the peppers first.  Then fill.

Link an unfried chile relleno of sorts.

Downside--the cheesy filling doesn't get warm and oozy and runny.
Upside--the cheesy filling doesn't get warm and oozy and runny.

Either way, these peppers were a hit.

My friend Krystal from Recipes of a Cheapskate grilled some cheese filled peppers too.  She said hers oozed as well, but they were delicious.

This post featured at:
featured at 
freedom friday Hearth & Soul Hopslice of southern button


Printer Friendly

Roasted Cheese Filled Banana Peppers

4 Tbsp chopped parsley
4 Tbsp chopped chives
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
8 oz cream cheese, softened
salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder all to taste
10-12 small to medium banana peppers, roasted and skins removed
additional chopped parsley and chives for garnish

Mix the filling ingredients and set aside.  Filling can be made ahead of time.  Bring to room temperature before filling peppers.

Cut a slit in each pepper and remove the seeds.  Peppers can be roasted and prepped ahead of time.

Fill the peppers with the cheese mixture, sprinkle parsley and chives on top, and serve.


 

Linking with:
Photobucket Photobucket
 Hearth and Soul blog hop at Premeditated Leftovers
Love Bakes  Good Cakes
Nap-Time Creations
White Lights on Wednesdays
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage
Gallery of Favorites
BWS tips button
Freedom Fridays slice of southern button Seasonal Sunday Teapot copy
MyMeatlessMondays Recipe Box

16 comments:

  1. You could warm up the cheese mixture on the stove before you stuff the precooked peppers. Best of both worlds? Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! We love banana peppers. I usually fill them with sausage and bake them in a tomato sauce. I think I'm loving this version with cheese a little better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. I made some little peppers like this stuffed with feta when we were cooking with Tessa Kiros. I stuffed them first and then pan-roasted - managed to get them just oozy enough without losing much filling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooze or no ooze, they still look and sound tasty! Thank you for sharing at All my Bloggy Friends this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8/02/2012

    These sound wonderful! Thanks for linking to The Ease of Freeze! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have these hanging off of our bushes right now and this is a perfect recipe for us to try, it looks delicious. Hope you have a fabulous week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh. My. Those look fantastic! Found you via Foodie Fridays...I'm starting my Meatless Monday hop up again next week if you'd like to link this gem of a recipe up! I hope to see you there!

    http://jessica-healthymommyhealthybaby.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look amazing. My husband loves stuffed peppers like that so I will have to keep this recipe in mind for him.

    Thanks so much for sharing at Mealtime Monday! I can't wait to see what you link up tonight.

    Kaylee
    www.couponingncooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so interested to read how this recipe evolved! I agree, it's much easier to fill already roasted peppers. I love the filling you have used in these; it's really fresh and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your roasted peppers look amazing! I pinned this recipe to my appetizer board, so I can make it for my next party - if I can wait that long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I admire your determination to work this recipe out. It is a wonderful seasonal recipe that I will enjoy.. I've never knew anything creative to do with this type of pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, my husband can eat banana peppers on everything. He would love this combo!! Great app! Thanks for linking to Foodtastic Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stopping over from your feature at MyTurn to pin these yummy sounding peppers.

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your pepper plant, and this dish!!! Wow, they look yummy. Thanks for sharing on Southern Sundays. Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! Your delishhh recipe is being featured on tomorrow's Southern Sunday. Hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1/17/2013

    what if you freeze the cheese mixture then stuff and grill. Hopefully that would slow the melty- gooeyness until the pepper is thoroughly roasted

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.