Feb 20, 2012

IHCC: Lighten Up


~*See Ya In the Gumbo Potluck #19 can be found here*~


How did I ever survive using cookbooks without pictures?
Dramatic, I know. Some may turn to a certain chapter. Some might choose a recipe based on the title. Me...it's the picture. Every time. I think food blogs and Pinterest have spoiled me.

When I saw the picture for Rombo alle Erbette (Fish Baked with Herbs) in Twelve by Tessa Kiros, I made up my mind then and there. This would be my dish for the "Lighten Up" theme @ I Heart Cooking Clubs.

By the way, I find it hilarious (and maybe even a little like I'm doing something wrong)...I'm posting a "lighten up" dish on Mardi Gras eve. I made it weeks ago, knowing that the closer it got to Mardi Gras, the more "fattening up" I'd be doing.



The fish, herbs, and white wine poaching liquid all seemed light. Then I noticed the butter and flour.

But one thing you should know about me (if you don't already)...once I make up my mind, there's no turning back. Especially when I had that image from the cookbook in my head.


Notes:
I think I'll skip the flour next time. While it helped thicken the sauce, it did cause the sauce to have an odd texture. And the butter--well, it isn't that much.

I love cooking with herbs. Especially when recipes offer the chance to go out in the garden and grab handfuls of whatever I can easily reach. This recipe uses a mix of five different herbs, but Kiros suggests that you can "substitute any herbs you like." I wondered about mint with fish, but it worked.

Linking with:
IHCC Tessa Kiros Button

Cookbook Sundays #12 at Couscous & Conciousness
CookbookSundays



Printer Friendly
Rombo alle Erbette (Fish Baked with Herbs)
from Twelve by Tessa Kiros

6 fillets firm white fleshed fish
salt and pepper
about 1/4 cup flour for dusting
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup water
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 Tbsp each of these finely chopped fresh herbs: parsley, rosemary, sage, mint, and thyme
2 Tbsp butter

Preheat the oven to 425 F.

Season the fish with salt & pepper. Lightly dust both sides with flour.

Put the olive oil into an oven safe dish and add the fish, the wine, and water. Scatter on the garlic and the mixed herbs, and spoon some of the liquid over the fish. Dot with the butter.

Put into the hot oven and cook for about 20 minutes. The fish should be opaque white and soft, with a little sauce bubbling up. Cook longer if necessary. Serve hot.

10 comments:

  1. So I totally sent my readers over here to get some rockin' mardi gras type recipes. I guess I should have checked with you first! It looks awesome and leaves more room for your voodoo punch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha love that you damage-controlled with this lighter dish before mardi gras! It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha...what better time to post a lighten-up dish!? ;P It sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, I was indeed taken back when I saw your title in reader... so glad you are sticking to tradition and eating your share of pre-lenten dishes... Happy Mardi Gras to you and everyone in Louisiana...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I have been craving fish lately, I love that it is poached in white wine. A little for the fish... a little for the chef... ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. My choice this week was also from "Twelve", and I have this one bookmarked. Looks like a lovely light fish dish, and I love all the different herbs.

    Thanks so much for sharing this at Cookbook Sundays.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmmm...this looks so good! I have to find "Twelve!" BTW, first time at your site - over from Cookbook Sundays...but, I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your fish sounds and looks amazing!
    I really love cookbook with pictures in it too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks wonderful--anything with fish and herbs is good in my book. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.