Nov 15, 2011

Turkeys and Yams

Like everyone, I'm getting my ducks...er, make that turkeys and sweet potatoes in a row for Thanksgiving.

I find it funny.  The weeks leading up to Thanksgiving are all about wonderful food.  Recipe cards scribbled with old family favorites lifted from their secret hiding places with slight of hand tricks.  New ideas dog-eared, copied, pasted, saved, printed.  Maybe even given a trial run.  Pots, pans, spoons, and spatulas all put in some holiday overtime.

But on those where-did-the-day-go days leading up to Thanksgiving, we end up eating some kind of packaged something leftover from the hurricane supplies. 

A Thanksgiving round-up, you say? 
Why that's a great idea. 

I'm firing up the Way-Back Machine, reaching in for some old family favorites.
Maybe my family will actually get a decent pre-Thanksgiving meal.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Sweet Potatoes.  Babe, don't sweat it.  I've got you covered.

Like 'em sweet?
    




Or like 'em savory?




After it's over with, I try to make up for all those sorry pre-Thanksgiving meals by making something delicious with the leftovers.

Post-Holiday Turkey Gumbo (one of my favorite gumbos)


 

Happy Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

  1. you can say what ya want about dem swt tators but I don't know that it gets any better than your great grand's Vick... to me, that is the essence of southern eats and beating eggs into a tater mush for extra binding and richness is just a joyous celebration of heritage...only thing to make this more sappy southern is cane or sorgham, - this is very close to one of my families recipes...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how heavily sweet potatoes are featured in your meal. I kind of wish I was going to YOUR family's thanksgiving now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sweet potatoes.....and love trying out new ways to fix them. One year I found a recipe--a more savory recipe where you sprinkled blue cheese crumbles over them. They were good, but I prefer mine on the sweeter side. Gramma Vicks sound perfect!
    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous round up! Love that sweet potato crunch and that turkey gumbo sounds so good! Great idea for leftover turkey!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.