Aug 3, 2011

Knowledge v. Wisdom & Garden Variety #11

The Husband thought I'd enjoy this quote posted by one of his FB friends:

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

I'm not using tomatoes for fruit salad today--I'm using them for chicken salad.

Growing up, almost every Saturday during tomato season my dad and I made tuna salad stuffed tomatoes for lunch. 

My dad prepped the (Creole!) tomatoes while I whipped up my famous (to my dad) tuna salad.  My secrets: no, not love...pickle juice and lots of Tony's.

Come to think of it, Dad also had me make my "famous" Lipton Lemon Sugar Tea.  Can't believe I fell for all that buttering-up!

After staying away from tuna while pregnant, I never could go back to it.  So my tomatoes get stuffed with other salads: chicken, crab, shrimp, couscous, orzo.

My chicken salad, like my tuna salad has pickle juice for some of the moisture and lots of Tony's.  I also like to add fresh thyme.

But I'm not going to give a recipe for chicken salad.  Like deviled eggs and potato salad, I find that most people have their favorite versions.  Often what they grew up with. 

This is more of an idea for when you think you can't possible come up with another use for all those beautiful ripe tomatoes.  Scoop, stuff them with something (anything), and call 'em in for lunch. 


My tomatoes are about done for the year--pulling them out this weekend.  A little sad, but we had a good crop.  We tried about 10 different types, mostly heirloom...
and promptly forgot to take notes on which we liked or didn't
Guess we'll have to do it all over again next year!



Tomatoes used for the chicken salad:
clockwise from top left
Beefsteak, Brandywine, Better Boy

Printer friendly

Chicken Salad Stuffed Tomatoes

from Ms. enPlace
your favorite chicken salad, chilled
1 tomato per person
salt & pepper

Cut a thin piece off the bottom of each tomato to keep them from rolling on the plate.  Next, using a small paring knife, "core" the tomato.  You can cut the top flat and keep the lid for garnish if you'd like.  Scoop out the middle of the tomato.  (I like to slurp the goop then and there.)  Sprinkle salt in the inside of each tomato.  Set the tomatoes upside down on paper towels or a baking rack.  Allow to drain for about 15 minutes.

Turn the tomatoes right side up, season with more salt and pepper.  Fill with chicken salad and serve.


*********************************

GARDEN VARIETY WEDNESDAY # 11

Ms. enPlace






~ Made a dish with something you nurtured in your garden?
~ Maybe a neighbor stopped by and shared some of his/her harvest?
~ Have baskets of goodies from a pick-your-own farm?
~ Found some treasures at your local farmer's market?
Share them here!


* Please don't forget to link back to Ms. enPlace or grab a button.
* Link your post--not your home page.
* Since growing seasons differ so much even across the US, old/archived posts are welcome, but please edit with a link back or a button.
* Have fun visiting other blogs!


Garden Variety Wednesday schedule:
August 17 & 31
September 7...last one and maybe on to something else...





*********************************
Linking this week with:
Make a Food-"e"-Friend Monday @ The Saturday Evening Pot
Tuesdays at the Table @ All The Small Stuff
Tasty Tuesday @ Naptime Creations
Hearth and Soul vol 59 @ A Moderate Life
Delectable Tuesday @ Home Sweet Farm
Made it on Monday #20 @ Lark's Country Heart
Let's Do Brunch @ The Life and Times of the 21st Century Housewife and My Sweet & Savory
Turning the Table Thursday @ Around My Family Table
What's Cooking Thursday @ Feeding Four
Potluck Friday @ EKat's Kitchen guest hosted by girlichef
Foodie Friday @ Little Brick Ranch
Fresh Food Friday @ la bella vita
Friday Food @ Mom Trends
Simply Delish @ KB & Whitesnakes Home

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful tomatoes and presentation! I wish I wasn't the only one in the family that liked fresh tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your chicken salad! These look fabulous and I wish that I had one for lunch! Gorgeous tomatoes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually never thought to stuff a tomato before, but it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love tomatos and these look and sounds delicious! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great dish with tomatoes. Thank you for sharing this with hearth and soul hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm...it looks delicious. I love it served in a tomato =) Such a fun quote, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good tomato and all three of those are gorgeous. How sad that pregnancy ended your love of tuna salad! I have to admit that I like chicken salad better, but we always have a can of tuna in the cupboard so it's an easy lunch to whip up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks just terrific. Perfect for the hot weather. Come over and visit us. We have a delicious Southern Favorite today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so yummy, Im with you I used to eat tuna salad but just cant stomach it anymore. I have linked up my Moma's Squash. I have had a good crop of tomatoes from our garden this year, but sadly they are pretty much done and the stink bugs got to my squash! I have a late green pepper crop, hope they make it. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so good, I wish I liked tomatoes! I'll have to make it for my hubby and my youngest, they both love chicken salad and tomatoes.

    Thanks for sharing at What's Cooking Thursdays!

    www.savingthosedollars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful presentation! Nice quote too :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tomatoes really got my attention! My tomatoes aren't ready yet.....soon I hope! Have a great weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a great quote.

    Looks delish.

    Thanks for sharing with us at
    Simply Delish Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  14. A ripe tomato is my favorite veggie!!!

    Thanks for linking up to Turning the Table Thursday!

    Wendy
    Around My Family Table

    ReplyDelete
  15. All I can say is, "I want that right now." Also, I have to get tomatoes from the backyard so I can make this.

    Thanks for sharing this. Your recipe is being featured tomorrow at Let's Do Brunch. You so deserve this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. First time here. Stopping by from My Sweet and Savory. Gorgeous tomatoes! And serving them with chicken salad sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.