Feb 15, 2011

Mardi Gras Eats #2

Mardi Gras is one big party.

Parties used to be these entities that simply appeared.  Out of nowhere!  Abracadabra!  Let the fun begin! 

This was before I was tall enough to handle a mop or reach the stove.


A child of the late 70s/early 80s, I remember my mom's special party dish.  Shrimp Mold.  I would not touch it.  Weird.  Pinkish-orangish.  Jiggly.  And something about that name...can't quite put my finger on it...

Mom also made a lot of crab dip for parties.  Now that I would touch. 

And eat too, just so we're clear.

Growing up sandwiched between swamp and marsh, seafood showed up often.

Oysters, crawfish, shrimp, and crab always seem to be part of a party spread whether its a birthday, New Year's Eve, or Mardi Gras.



Mom's Crab Dip


You'll need milk, cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, crab, green onion, Tony's and/or hot sauce.

I halved the recipe since this was for a party of 3.

Mom's recipe says to make this in a double boiler. 
Mom doesn't own a double boiler.
Neither do I.
And knowing my ma,
she doesn't pull out a saucepan and mixing bowl to fake one.
Too much bs, is what she'd say.

Who am I to argue?

Over low heat, melt the cream cheese with milk, Worchestershire sauce, and garlic powder.
Gently fold in the crab and green onion.  Season to taste with Tony's and/or hot sauce.  Allow to heat through and serve.

Abracadabra!  Let the fun begin!
It really is that easy.

Notes: 
* Mom's recipe also says to serve in a chafing dish. 

Mwa-ha-ha!  Sure.  If neither of us owns a double boiler...a chafing dish surely ain't happenin'!  We aren't fancy people.  Mom likes to whip out her tiny crockpot.  I don't even do that since I know we'll scarf this down in no time.

* I like this best with crackers.
   Some other suggestions:

     ~  replace crackers w/ toasted French bread rounds
     ~ spread on tortillas, chill, then cut into pinwheels

     ~ use as a finger sandwich filling
     ~  serve w/ won ton chips (the dip reminds me of
         crab rangoon anyway)


* HERE'S how to make the scallion brush garnish.   At one time I had this great (*sarcasm*) idea of a secondary blog of "HOW TOs."  My posts are always yak attacks (yes, I am as painfully aware as you are--really I don't know why you put up with all my jibba-jabba).  In an effort to not bog things down (mwa-ha-ha again!), I thought I'd keep all the nitty gritty stuff elsewhere and link to it.  

Apparently I don't know "How To..." as much as I thought I did.  Turns out, I really don't know jack!  Haven't posted anything there in ages!   


This week, I'm linking up with:


Feb 16




Around My Family Table



Feb 17





Printer Friendly Recipe

Mom’s Crab Dip

from Ms. enPlace


16 oz cream cheese

2 tbsp milk

2-2 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1/2 tsp (rounded) garlic powder

1 lb crabmeat, picked free of shells

3-4 green onions, chopped

Tony's and/or hot sauce to taste



In a double boiler, heat cream cheese, milk, Worcestershire, and garlic powder. Gently fold in crab and green onion. Season to taste with Tony's and/or hot sauce. Serve in chafing dish with crackers. Makes about 3 cups.

5 comments:

  1. Would you believe I've actually never had crab dip? Such a shame. Seems like there can't be a party without it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your Mom and I would get along perfectly. A double boiler is too much bs, for sure. Also, I'm not even sure if I know what a chafing dish is. I'm for certain I don't have one either. No matter though because I know this dip would get inhaled at my house, whether it was on crackers, bread, won tons, or fingers. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy does this look delicious! I would eat that up in a heartbeat :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The reason I like your blog so much IS BECAUSE of the jibba-jabba. So don't stop with that.
    I do have a double boiler, but it's one I borrowed from my mom 30 years ago and have never given back. And I know she has never replaced it, so, the stove does just as good a job. And a chafing dish? Phfffttt! ha haha....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanne-that is a shame! But it's also a shame that I've never had a black & white cookie like you posted about!

    Kim-yep it's tasty on fingers too ;-)

    Lynn-thank you!

    Debbie-thanks for reading my jibba-jabba!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.