Dec 14, 2010

Dear Santa, You can do this, right?

Dear Santa,
This year for Christmas I would like some rubber boots for fishing, a weight set with a bench, and a real suit of armor!  I'd also like an attic window so the monsters and creeps up there can see.
Thank you.
Love,
G

That's my eight year old's letter to Santa. 


Rubber boots
Definitely do-able, done in fact

Weight set with bench
Thanks, Wimpy Kid Greg Heffley, but not on your life

Real suit of armor
 Why?
Because these guys
from Google images
try to solve the mystery of this guy
from Google images
Couldn't Scooby's influence be more practical?
Like a giant sandwich?
from Google images

Attic window
Well, I wasn't aware that I had guests living in my attic.  If I would have known, I would have been a better hostess to those monsters and creeps.
  Coffee and pie, yes. 
Installing a window, no. 
At least The Boy thinks of others.


That's 1 for 4.  Last time I checked, that was a big fat F.

I'd like to go back to a simpler time.  A time when I wrote the Santa letters and someone else had to deal with constructing a magical Christmas based on some crazy kid's wish list.
~~~~~~~~~~~~


These little cookies from my Mother-in-law are pretty simple.  Similar to shortbread but with almond flavor.  My favorite part is the toasted pecan on top.  



Mise en place for Butter Dreams:
butter, shortening, sugar, almond extract, flour, pecan halves
(nope...no egg)
save some pecans for the cookies!

Cream the butter and shortening. 
Slowly add the sugar and cream well.
Standard cookie making, right?

When the recipe says "cream well" that means a lot.
More than my impatient, highly distractable helper could stand.

When you only cream so-so...
...crumbly dough.

Luckily, it smooshed together from the heat of our hands when we rolled the cookies

The dough is rolled either by the teaspoon or tablespoon.
For me, a teaspoon is too small...hardly enough room for the pecan hats.  Tablespoon size is a perfect fit.

Press a pecan half onto the top of each.
Firmly, but gently, now!
Don't you just love when people say that?
You'll catch on fast as to how firmly. 
Or you'll have a pan of flat, cracked used-to-be balls of cookie dough. 

If you're putting together Christmas cookie trays and like almond or know someone who does, these simple little cookies might be something to consider.  They're also a nice little cookie for people who don't like chocolate.
  If there is such a thing.

Linked to:

Food On Friday: Christmas Favorites @ Carole's Chatter

Tip Day Thursday Carnival @ Around My Family Table
Friday Potluck @ EKat’s Kitchen
Saturday’s Party @ Recipes of a Cheapskate



Printer friendly recipe
Butter Dreams
from my Mother in law

½ c butter
½ c shortening
½ c sugar
1 tsp almond extract
2 ½ c flour
pecan halves for topping

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter and shortening. Gradually add sugar, creaming well. Blend in almond extract and flour. Mix well. Shape dough into balls using 1 tsp to 1 tbsp of dough. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and press a pecan half into the center of each cookie. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes (will vary depending on size), or until bottoms turn golden.


More Christmas cookie & candy ideas:

Peppermint Sticks & Chewy Chocolate Cookies
(My family's top Christmas cookies)
 






Chocolate Peanut Clusters
(also good with pecans and dried cranberries)

Candied Pecans & Spiced Pecan Kisses
(from last week's post)


~* Happy Holidays*~

8 comments:

  1. what a funny boy you have! :)

    -Krystal @ recipesofacheapskate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, that is some wish list. All my girls ever wrote was Barbie-this and Barbie-that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving the boy's wishlist. He really knows how to make you work for it! My daughter actually wrote that she wanted a box of ramen noodles. LOL.
    All of the cookies you posted look delicious, but anything called a butter dream....Hello! Those sound incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so funny! My kids are addicted to Scooby Doo too :). And what great cookie ideas you have! Thnaks for sharing the recipes, I really do need t start baking our Christmas treats, our holiday company arrives in 3 days, yikes! Have a great weekend! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  5. The letter is cute! The cookies look delicious, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a lovely letter. Hope Santa takes note :)

    The cookies look very yummy too. I'd like to bite into some of them for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are killing me with all the pecan recipes. LOL! I can't wait to give some of these a try. I just would 4lbs of pecans the other to make last weeks recipes. URGH...back to the store.

    Thanks for linking up at Tip Day Thursday. Link up anytime.


    Wendy
    Around My Family Table

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle, thanks for linking this in to Food on friday. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.