Mar 4, 2009

Let Me Axe You Somethin...Do We Talk Good?

No one would ever guess that I grew up in New Orleans. Whenever I tell people, they always give the same response: "You don't sound like it." I suppose I don't...for the most part.
I don't know why I don't sound like I'm from New Orleans; my parents and relatives sure do. I didn't sound like them even when I lived there...and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I don't:
"axe" people questions
use a "nack-in" to wipe my face
use the "ter-lit"
"make groceries"
hang my clothes in my "locker"

But, now and then things seep in. Like the time I said, "Come see" (meaning come here) in front of a Midwestern friend and she laughed at me. Or the time I said something about "lagniappe" to a class in Texas and they looked even more puzzled than they were with their lab procedure. And I do use the Southern "ya'll." And I say that I'm "fixin" to do something. I say when I was a "little" girl when I mean young. I ask about "your mama an' 'em" when I want to know how everyone is doing. My son was born in TX and spent about five years in MO. When he comes home from school and says "ya'll" or talks about his friend "Challs," (Charles) I giggle.

My parents and other relatives say all of the things in my list above. So when my dad made Trout "Amandine" I figured that was just another mispronunciation too. But it turns out he was right. Even though this dish contains almonds, the correct term is really "Amandine," which means "garnished with almonds." And that is what this dish is about. Oh, and butter. It's about butter too. You'll see...

Trout (or Tilapia) Amandine
from Ms. enPlace

4 tilapia or trout fillets
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 cup sliced almonds
8 tablespoons butter, divided
lemon slices (optional garnish)
parsley (optional garnish)

Soak fillets in milk for about 15 minutes if you think your fish may be too "fishy." If not, don't worry about it.

Season the fish with salt and pepper. Lightly dredge in flour and shake off excess.

Melt half of the butter in a skillet and brown fillets on both sides. Make sure they have a nice golden crust.

Remove fish from skillet and keep warm. Add remaining butter and sauté almonds. Serve over cooked fillets. Garnish with lemon slices and parsley, if desired.


Linked to
Food On Friday: Cherries & Almonds @ Carole's Chatter

Hun...What's for Dinner

 photo SimpleSupperTuesday_zps93ff0e49.jpg
Here's what you'll need. I had to use tilapia b/c the fishing trip didn't turn out so well. Also, I had no lemon, but I do like to use it in this.


I don't usually have a problem with strong tasting fish. If you do, soak the fish in milk. Then season and dredge in flour.


Melt half of the butter. The other half comes later. If you really don't want to use an entire stick of butter, you could use olive oil and butter to saute the fish. But where's the fun in that?


Cook the fish until golden brown on both sides...but don't overcook!



Remove the fish and keep warm. Melt the remaining butter and saute the almonds. They are done when they become fragrant.


Serve the almond/butter sauce over the fish fillets. Garnish with lemon and parsley, if desired.  Served here with Corn Maque Chou

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, this sounds wonderful Michelle. Thanks for linking up to Simple Supper Tuesday and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post. People may laugh, but they know where to find good food. I love the idea of "lagniappe". I had a shop owner throw in a package of pasta when I bought vinegar and olive oil, and some vegetables. He said now you have a complete meal. I was touched by his gesture.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.