Dec 21, 2012

IHCC: Foods to Warm You Up

We had a recent round of winter weather--a freeze even.  It was a rare opportunity to make a bowl of something hot.


Right in time for "Foods to Warm You Up" @ I Heart Cooking Clubs
IHeartCookingClubsMadhurJaffrey

I picked Madhur Jaffrey's Gingery Cauliflower Soup from Quick & Easy Indian Cooking

With warm spices like cumin, coriander, and cayenne and plenty of ginger, this soup will definitely warm you up.  I skipped the turmeric (as has become my usual) and added a touch of garam masala just because the jar stared me down when I opened my cabinet.  The recipe makes a huge pot of soup.  I froze some because even though we liked the soup, we got tired of eating so much of it.  I'll find out later this week how well it freezes (or not).



Linked with
Food on Friday: Cauliflower & Cabbage @ Carole's Chatter

It's Fall Y'all 2013


Printer Friendly

Gingery Cauliflower Soup
slightly adapted from Quick & Easy Indian Cooking from Madhur Jaffrey

3 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1" piece of ginger, peeled and cut into fine slivers
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
3/4 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp cayenne
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" dice
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
5-6 cups chicken stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup half and half
chopped parsley

Add the oil to a large soup pot and heat over medium-high.  Add the onion, ginger, and garlic.  Stir and fry for about 4 minutes until the onion is somewhat browned.  Add the spices and stir for about 2 minutes   Add the potatoes, cauliflower, and stock.  Season with salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer on low until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes.  Carefully puree with a stick blender, or transfer to a blender in batches.  Add the half and half and warm over low heat--do not boil.  Taste for salt and add if needed.

Serve with freshly ground black pepper and chopped parsley sprinkled over the top.

4 comments:

  1. This looks very yummy Michelle, although I won't get a chance to make it soon as the weather is becoming quite hot here where we live in Australia!! I wanted to wish you and your family a beautiful Christmas and a happy & safe New Year - all the best for 2013!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12/23/2012

    Ooh! What fun little twists! Without the turmeric, the soup is a pretty shade instead of brown. You should be okay freezing it, however it might need a little "binding" to re-emulsify it when you reheat it. Looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That darn turmeric ;-)

    I leave it out of every single recipe! Don't know why I even keep the bottle of it in my spice cabinet.

    I haven't had cauliflower soup since high school. I'd love to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer N2/17/2013

    I made this tonight! It was delicious! In case anyone is curious, this yielded 12 cups of soup and is 3 weight watchers points per cup :).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.