Jun 5, 2012

Eatin' Out the Garden

I'm about to blow your mind right here, babe.
Meatless.
And good for you. 

Got both for you today.
I know, right?


No, I wasn't abducted by aliens.  Or hit in the head.  Didn't receive a bad report from my doctor.
Summer's cranked up full blast and we're livin' out the garden.



I'm not sure where this sandwich originates from.  It's something we used to serve for luncheons when I worked at a cooking school/catering business.  The ladies loved it.

Know what?  It's hearty enough to please dudes too. 
For real.

Colorful.  Tasty.  Surprisingly filling.  One of my summer favs.  It's fun to set all of the grilled vegetables out on a large platter and do a "make your own."

Little tip: the herbed mayo and grilled bread totally make it.




Printer Friendly

Grilled Vegetable Sandwich w/ Herbed Mayo

1 Japanese eggplant sliced lengthwise about 1/4" thick
1 small zucchini sliced lengthwise about 1/4" thick
1 small yellow squash sliced lengthwise about 1/4" thick
1 small red onion cut into rings
2-3 Portobello caps
extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper
1 loaf crusty bread, cut into 1/2" slices
red leaf lettuce
1 large roasted red pepper, sliced lengthwise   (I use jarred)
Herbed Mayo (below)

Heat a grill or grill pan.  Lay all the vegetables on a large sheet pan.  Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Flip all slices, drizzle with more olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Grill until the vegetables are tender and have grill marks.  When the vegetables are almost done, drizzle a little olive oil on the slices of bread and grill on both sides.

Slice the Portobellos.  Spread mayo the slices of bread.  Assemble the sandwiches with the grilled vegetables, lettuce, and roasted red pepper.

Herbed Mayo
1 clove garlic
about 3/4 c mayonnaise
juice of 1/2 lemon
a few drops of hot sauce
2 Tbsp thyme leaves
2 Tbsp flat leaf parsley
2 Tbsp chopped chives

For a smooth spread, smash the garlic and add it, along with the rest of the ingredients to a food processor.  Pulse until smooth.

Or, mince the garlic and add to a bowl with the rest of the ingredients.  Stir to combine.

Best of made a few hours ahead.


Linking with:


 Hearth and Soul blog hop at Premeditated Leftovers
Nap-Time Creations
White Lights on Wednesdays
Gallery of Favorites
BWS tips button Freedom Fridays
slice of southern button MyMeatlessMondays

8 comments:

  1. I am going to sum my thinking up.
    This is fabulous!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Now that is one good lookin' and colorful sandwich. And, it always tastes better knowing you grew it all on your own, right?

    We planted some eggplant, broccoli, tomatoes, bell peppers, lettuce, and green beans. The bugs got to the eggplant and broccoli...bummer, but everything else is doing well. Can't wait till it's ready.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I do believe your blog was completely taken hostage by ????? Lol
    But this does look so delicious:) I can handle no meat if this is my on my plate:) If you get a chance check out today's post at my place:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my kind of sandwich! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just have to try this! And try this out on my Fellow, I bet he would not even notice no meat because of all the other yummy flavors. Thank you for sharing at Freedom Fridays. Have a Super Terrific Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe totally sounds like summer! What a wonderful sandwich - hearty, flavourful, delicious and meat free! I really like the herbed mayo too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delicious sandwich! I love the herbed mayo - such a flavorful addition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful sandwhich! This is going on my 'to do' list. Thanks for sharing on Southern Sundays. Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments.